The Boominator - another stab at the ultimate party machine - Page 10 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Class D

Class D Switching Power Amplifiers and Power D/A conversion

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 28th May 2008, 02:06 PM   #91
diyAudio Member

Guys, you're all awesome.

As I said, I've already settled on an AMP6 for this first project. Instead of using a car battery, I'm going for a 17Ah 12V lead battery, which is also cheaper than the car battery I was looking at (albeit that was 95Ah, but I've figured that charging won't really be a problem). I think I'm going to go for two of those in parallel. I couldn't find any easily accessible boat battery vendors anywhere near me (with a home page at least).

So that leaves the amp and battery handled. Nice. That leaves only the speakers. Thanks for the lowdown on speaker wattage, NED, it was very helpful. So I'm going for some high sensitivity, not necessarily high wattage speakers. v-bro, who's exceedingly awesome topic I must have missed before posting my previous post, says that car speakers might not be the way to go. Do you guys have any suggestions, perhaps even with an ebay link :-)
Old 28th May 2008, 03:12 PM   #92
NED 209 is offline NED 209  Ireland
diyAudio Member

have you thought about using Saturnus's design? i re-read this thread, i think he's cool with that? pretty awesome design
Old 28th May 2008, 03:50 PM   #93
diyAudio Member

Yes, his design is cool indeed. I'm just worried; won't this be a waste of money. Isn't the AMP6-BASIC kind of petty to that kind of speakers? If not, then would this be a bad trade:

2x HP10W (bass)
1x G-1045 (mid/high)

And what about the battery life? You say the speakers themselves don't consume power. But doesn't the amplifier eat more energy when it's set to load three speaker modules? (sorry if that was a stupid question)
Old 28th May 2008, 04:10 PM   #94
diyAudio Member

Nah, the G-1045 seems to be around the same range as the HP10W. Would a pair of those suffice, btw, or do I need the 'tweeters'? I wasn't able to find the model Saturnus was talking about in his first thread, so could you perhaps help me in finding some usable alternative?
Old 28th May 2008, 10:42 PM   #95
v-bro is offline v-bro  Netherlands
diyAudio Member

Hi,

these drivers look pretty cheap, what budget were you aiming for.

Still Saturnus put a lot of thought in the design, and wise thought if I might say. The AMP6 will operate fine with such a speaker configuration (although I believe he used two in one boombox?)

I'll get back on this, no more time.....
Old 29th May 2008, 03:27 AM   #96
NED 209 is offline NED 209  Ireland
diyAudio Member

youll be amazed at the volume levels you can get out of a low powered amp with the right speakers. here, read through this thread, i found it very educational, if a little costly

tweeter advice
Old 29th May 2008, 10:42 PM   #97
diyAudio Member

Thanks for the link, NED. I read it but I didn't get that much from it, though; too much "moonspeak"

Anyway, I reexamined the dB-to-tone-frequency chart again and figured I wouldn't really need anything else than the HP10Ws. Mind you, I'm trying to do this project on a rather strict budget -- not saying as cheap as possible, though. The chart for the G-1045 looks a bit more intriguing, so I'm considering going for just two of those (and no more -- DO complain if that is just ridiculous, please).

What else will I need, aside from the apparent stuff:
  • Storage box
  • Battery
  • Amplifier
  • Drivers
  • Cables from battery to amp
  • Cables from amp to drivers (I know speakers should not be connected with the same cables as from the battery to the amp)

I owe you guys a huge _thank you_ for all your time explaining this to me. I sincerely hope it's not been too much of a burden.
Old 30th May 2008, 02:01 PM   #98
diyAudio Member

You'll also need:

- Power supply/transformer

- Charger/conditioner for batteries.

- Pot for volume control. You can get by without this if you use the headphone jack from an Ipod or walkman, but you'll generally get a better-sounding signal through a line-out (through the dock connector on an iPod).

Don't forget to fuse the battery. Those things can put out a lot of current in a short situation.

--Buckapound
Old 30th May 2008, 02:04 PM   #99
diyAudio Member

The power supply is all right. Battery supplies 12V which is what the amplifier takes.

I forgot to write charger on that other list, but yeah, that is definitely needed.

Where do I get a volume pot. Is it something I can get in any Radio Shack?

The amp already has a fuse. I suppose that's for the battery. Won't that be enough?
Old 30th May 2008, 02:44 PM   #100
diyAudio Member

I could be ousted from this forum for saying so, but a Radio Shack pot should work fine. If you are feeling overburdened with cash, there are solutions out there ranging up to a several hundred dollar stepped attenuators. Myself, I'm using a counterfeit Alps bought off eBay.

The real Alps, BTW, seems to be what people consider to be a choice with a good price/performance ratio:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ALPS-Potentiomet...QQcmdZViewItem

If there's a fuse on the board, as long as it's between the board and the battery, you should be good.

--Buckapound

Hide this!Advertise here!