Digital Amp for Car Audio?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I'm interested to know if anyone is amping their car audio speakers with Digital Amps?

I'm thinking it might be an easy way to get some good clean, efficient, and low heat sound into my Nissan Murano?

I'm planning on running these drivers from my stock head unit...

Infinity Kappa 6"x9" 3-way
Infinity Kappa 6.5" 2-way
Infinity Kappa 3" 2-way
Infinity Kappa 10" sub

if you have experience with car audio and digital amps please give reccomendations and feedback.

thank you.

I'm running an unmodded T-amp in my car, just with a cap on the power line. I put it in temporarily after my bigger and much more expensive amp failed, and haven't seen the need to replace it yet. Sounds fine, certainly the equal of any a/b I've had, and I've had some pretty good ones.

So the obvious questions surfaces...

What is the difference between the amps sold here at 41Hz and digital amps made by Alpine, Blau, and others. The size is very different and the design (after seeing internal pics) looks different too.

At this point I see the other have expectronic crossovers and subsonic filters built-in but that still does not account for the massive differences.

Thoughts?

I have used AMP9 in my car to great satisfaction for about almost one year. An easy to build, versatile, small, great sounding, quite powerfull and rugged little amp.

I have built a Truepath quite recently and plan on my second one to be used in my car. Truepath can be teaked to operate from 21Vdc to 39Vdc +/- supply. Many normal AB class caramps have excellent SMPS on board.

I have a Delorean DL-290 with a massive switchmode supply inside to deliver 35Vdc +/-. 5V and VN10 can easily be generated from the 12V.
I'm planning on removing the AB-amp section and implement a Truepath inside. It will make a really powerfull caramp...:cool:

Livin said:
I'm interested to know if anyone is amping their car audio speakers with Digital Amps?...
...if you have experience with car audio and digital amps please give reccomendations and feedback.

thank you.

I've just finished my car amplifier based on two smps from valveaudio and four hypex ucd180. I'm driving the amplifiers through an rme fireface400's balanced outputs. Two modules for the woofers (res 21fc) and two for the mid-high section (an Anthony Gallo nucleus microTi for every channel).Naturally I'm using a digital crossover inside my carpc. The sound is great, very dynamic and refined, it was compared to a milbert amplifier.

(However the best improvement of the sound was the passage from passive crossover to digital crossover with digital delays: more dynamics, control and details on every frequency range)

Fabio

Re: Re: Digital Amp for Car Audio?

Z1 said:

However the best improvement of the sound was the passage from passive crossover to digital crossover with digital delays: more dynamics, control and details on every frequency range)

Fabio

What kind of passive filters did you use?

There are very good ones....

In fact my R/C filters show far less distortion than the Behringer digital filter that a friend of mine owns...

hi Livin

Until now i have maybe 6 to 7 years expirience in car audio and 80% was with JBL, Infinity & alpine so we are close :)

Anyway i can recomend you to use the Reference Series REF1300A, or even better REF1600A becase more power for the subs it doesent harms since the Kappa wofer you use is 350 rms then its better the go with the REF1600A. Also there was older series from Infinity amps wich is Reference 611a which is 657w RMS into 2 ohms and hte point for this amp is that it has DBO Dynamic Bass Optimisation and this option is subsonic filter which is very usefull for boxes with ported enclousre, also it better that you will use ported since Nissan Murano has big trunk space also the box for 10 inch with not take more that 50 liters. or 2 cubic ft.

Also other point is to use the JBL BPX 500.1 also class D sub amp and it qute small and awesome amp for you aplication and on the end you can go with JBL GTO601.1 which is the chepaest of all but still damm good for hte money. And since JBL and Infinity sell almost the same stuff because they are under one mother which is Harman international so the chouse that you will end up is the cosmetic stuff, but this aplies for your aplication because JBL have GTi series which is top of the line.

So i recomend that you use only class D amp for the sub and for the componets to use class AB because first of all they say that BPX 500.1 or GTO 601.1 are class D but they are not...............Alpine now make fully class D amps "PDX serries" bt am not so sure if they are 100% pure class D.

Anyway for the components you can use JBL PX 300.4 and trust me for this aplication that you have you will be very very satisfied i use it to power Front: Kappa 652.5 and Beta One tweeters, Rear: JBL T595 limited and kappa 10.5t tweeters and its quite powerfull but most importat the system sounds very SQ so with proper tuning of the gains in the amp you will be pleased also the amp is 124w x 4 chanels at 4 ohms RMS and somewhere about 168w x 4 chanels at 2 ohms RMS.

FOr hte rear it that you have 6x9 kappa they are probably 110w rms at 4 ohms so more power doesend harm them at all. also for the front the 6.5 are about 75rms also you dont mention which kappa you have the new odels with nedinium magnet which are 652.7?

Also dont forget to update your electrical system in the car like bateries altenrnator capacitor, but first do the BIG 3 "nice power cable like awg 2 or 0, positive from alternator to battery, negative from batery to chasics, and the one that goes from the batery to transmition & to chasics, also upgrade the one from batery + to the box of the car where all the fuces are.

so to conclude

Use class D only for the sub because they say that draws less curent , and ut class AB for the components. Dont bother to search for class D for hte components...................:D

Happy Buying and Instaling

Alex

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.