UCD400 Power Supply mod?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi,

I am going to build 2 monoblocks using UCD400AD modules. I have ordered 2 pcs of the Hypex standard power supply.

I have 6 10000uF 80V Elna caps I wish to use. Is it hard to do this? Can I just add them in series to the print along with the others?

Please advise, I suck at electronics, but pretty handy with a soldering iron...:)

Placing the capacitors before the psu module doesn't make sense. Placing them after the psu will be overriding the fusing and the dc blocking shut off relay. At the very least, you would need to fuse again after the additional capacitor bank. You could also build your own psu, just copy the simple rectifier/cap arrangement shown in the UCD docs, of course then it won't have any dc protection.

You could do that by desoldering the existing capacitors, and soldering in 16 gage wire where the terminals were. You would connect all the caps in parallel for each rail. You might also be able to find an electrically common place and drill it out to put in something like a faston.

Whether you should is another question that other people may be better qualified to answer....

Your other caps / layout may affect noise performance, current inrush, etc.

Maybe before you could setup the system sucessfully using the existing psu, verify that DC offset is not a problem in your setup. Then build your own psu on a breadboard with a rectifier bridge/schotky diodes and your elna caps, and some 1/4" fast-ons. In fact, you can visually inspect the hypex psu and copy their rectifier bypassed by small ceramic caps arrangement.

Capacitor wiring

Just remember that you cannot add capacitors off on a branch and expect a worthwhile effect.

The power has to come from the source, go to the capacitors and then to the load. That is the source and load both connect to the capacitor terminals directly.

Both on the + and - capacitor leads..

If the capacitors are on a branch, you have the resistance of the wires effectively in series with the capacitors, reducing their effect quite a bit.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.