Inductor Winding Techniques - 41hz AMP4

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hey all,

After a great many posts, deliberations and consultations with audio-pros, I’ve decided upon using a multi-strand design for the windings on my output inductor cores, on my modular amp4 project; anyone interested as to why can email me or search for my posts on the issue. For those who are not aware, I’m using metglas ‘anamorphous’ 7324MDGC cores, with 10 turns of 16AWG-15AWG (depending on exact current calculations). The wire to be used is 3 strands of Vampire 21 AWG OCC copper magnet wire (roughly equivalent to 16.3 AWG) . I know these are quite thick strands of copper for a litz design, but I’m hoping 3 is still sufficient to make some kind.

However, I now have to consider what technique I’m going to use to wind these. I’m very new to inductor wiring, but can see several clear factors that need considering:

- Wire-wire interactions: do I want a standard litz intertwine, whereby each wire spends on average the same amount of time in the middle of the bundle (thus ensuring an equal effect on all signals in all the strands), or, do I want one where the wires are adjacent in just 1 plane and ‘wrapped’ around the core so they lay next to each other (thus, reducing the space between the core and the wire…I believe there is a ‘____effect’ name for this)

- Wire–core interactions: Do I wind them round in one direction as usual, or via some kind of ‘back turns’ system (as mentioned in ‘Berts’ coils, which I do not fully understand).

- Wire-core intermediaries/accessories: Do I want to include any other materials to affect capacitance (not entirely sure how this is done), or to reduce vibrations (wrapping with strands of cloth/cotton, as mentioned in ‘Berts’ coils.)

Any thoughts/comments greatly appreciated :)

Peter.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.