Charlize vs Trends Audio TA-10? - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Class D

Class D Switching Power Amplifiers and Power D/A conversion

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 25th May 2007, 09:06 AM   #1
raver is offline raver  Italy
diyAudio Member

Default Charlize vs Trends Audio TA-10?

Hi,
for those of you that own (or have listened to) both these amps, how do they compare? Which one do you prefer?
Thanks
Old 25th May 2007, 12:34 PM   #2
diyAudio Member

Hi Raver, although I have not owned a trends I have listened and modified enough TA2024 based amps (sonics/fenice etc) to say that they are very similar to the TA2020's.
There is slighly more power from the Charlize before clipping but I have never used the volume past 40% so that is irrelevant to myself.
I think you would be hard pushed to tell the difference between the stock versions........Obviously though, you still need to case-up the Charlize so the Trends would appear to be the best cost option.....
My favourite set up is my heavily modified Charlize with custom toroids on the output, feedback resistors soldered directly to the pins and Obligatto input caps....Wonerful!
Old 25th May 2007, 12:52 PM   #3
giulio is offline giulio  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

More info on custom toroids, pretty please...

Type, source...

TIA

Giulio
Old 25th May 2007, 11:05 PM   #4
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by giulio
More info on custom toroids, pretty please...

Type, source...

TIA

Giulio
Well these are based on recomendations from the man himself..... panomaniac that is
They are type 61 toroids with only 13 wraps of .71mm maplin magnet wire.
I prefer these to the aircores that came with the amp (no offence Yeo & vt4c) but I like more dynamic/vivid presentation.
Old 29th May 2007, 11:43 PM   #5
diyAudio Member

I have a stock Trends 10.1 and a Charlize. Trends now well burnt in (took a long time!) - Charlize almost cooked.

From the start, the Charlize surpasses the Trends sonically in all departments. It was well worth an evening building & soldering.

The Charlize has a bigger soundstage width / depth, less fatiguing and smoother mids / highs, the best vocals and piano I have yet heard, slightly more volume before distorting, sounds better at very low vol levels (late night listening), and resolves complex and harsh mixes better.

Having said that, the Trends is a fine amp, and these differences are noticeable but not huge.

Bottom line: Charlize is in the main system and will stay there.

(Wide range of music. System as sig.)
Old 31st May 2007, 02:49 PM   #6
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Lostcause

Well these are based on recomendations from the man himself..... panomaniac that is
They are type 61 toroids with only 13 wraps of .71mm maplin magnet wire.
I prefer these to the aircores that came with the amp (no offence Yeo & vt4c) but I like more dynamic/vivid presentation.

I take it as a constructive comment.

Yes, the ferrite core will give certain set-up a 'sense' of better dynamic comparing to the air-core. My own take on this after listening to both air-core and ferrite core version of Charlize is due to air core exhibit a more smoother music reproduction through it and perhaps this is perceived as less dynamic/vivid.

BTW, Charlize does comes with ferrite core version if requested.
Old 31st May 2007, 05:36 PM   #7
diyAudio Member

I own both amps and agree with Alan, he hit the differences right on the mark. I'd only add that the stock Trends 10.1 sounds a bit too dry and grainy for my liking.

Last week I finished the Mardis Level II mod on the 10.1 and have to say the amp is noticeably improved. Still a little brighter than Charlize, but no grain or fatigue. Smoother with great detail on good recordings, but piano is not quite right. Maybe a longer break-in will improve things.

Dave
Old 31st May 2007, 06:37 PM   #8
Shiznit is offline Shiznit  Sweden
diyAudio Member

Has anybody compared the mardis modded trend with stock charlize?
Old 31st May 2007, 06:54 PM   #9
Pano is offline Pano  United States
diyAudio Moderator

Quote:
Originally posted by Shiznit
Has anybody compared the mardis modded trend with stock charlize?

I have. But I'm hardly an impartial judge.
Old 31st May 2007, 07:17 PM   #10
Shiznit is offline Shiznit  Sweden
diyAudio Member

for me it doesn't matter if u favour the trends, i just want some input on the difference between them.

Hide this!Advertise here!