How to avoid "pop" with UCD when switching on?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi! I have just DIY UCD180 and is using a a relay to contol the /on. This way, i can put the module on standby/active mode. But each time I wake up the module from standby mode, I get a "pop" sound.

Is this normal? If I put a 0.1uF cap across my relay, will that solve the problem?

ackcheng

ackcheng said:
Hi! I have just DIY UCD180 and is using a a relay to contol the /on. This way, i can put the module on standby/active mode. But each time I wake up the module from standby mode, I get a "pop" sound.

Is this normal? If I put a 0.1uF cap across my relay, will that solve the problem?

ackcheng

what diy ucd180 scheme are you using?? there are many..

and what MOSFET? ;)

problem solved. It turns out to be the problem of the cap that is in series with the tweeter. The UcD180 has DC when there is no load. When the cap is in series, there is basically no load. the cap get charged. and discharged when the /on is grounded giving a loud pop.

I change the cap to a reistor instead and solve the problem

Ex-Moderator
Joined 2005
ackcheng said:
I change the cap to a reistor instead and solve the problem

Removing the capacitor will certainly get rid of the pop because there is no capacitor to charge but the whole point of the cap was to provide DC protection for the tweeter.

To implement this properly, it seems like you would need to have the capacitor directly on the output of the amp followed by a higher value resistor going to ground and use a relay to connect or disconnect the tweeter AFTER the capacitor has been charged up by the amplifier output.

Yes, I think there is something in the long thread, but if I remember correctly, the proposal there was different (I could be wrong). Use a 1 or 2 Watt resistor. I hear absolutely no plops when switching on or off.

Both with and without the speaker load, my offset is about 4 mV (coupling caps shorted). I have the UcD180AD version.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.