DIY solar powered boombox DIY solar powered boombox - Page 3 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Class D Switching Power Amplifiers and Power D/A conversion

DIY solar powered boombox
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 8th June 2007, 09:21 PM   #21
planet10 is offline planet10  Canada
frugal-phile(tm)
diyAudio Moderator

Default Re: Sundown Update

Quote:
Originally posted by panomaniac
You would certainly want the most efficient speakers you can carry.
I have an untried 4.5 litre FE127 design on the books... ~92 dB 1W and bass to just below 100 Hz.

I have the (uncut) wood to make a green/solar house on the south side of my house. I will have a 14' x 24' wall i was going to use to collect solar energy. I was going to use black PVC and heat a fluid... anyone know of an easy way to convert this to electricity?

dave
Old 8th June 2007, 11:08 PM   #22
MJL21193 is offline MJL21193  Canada
Account disabled at member's request

Default Re: Re: Sundown Update

Quote:
Originally posted by planet10

anyone know of an easy way to convert this to electricity?

dave

Heat to electricity conversion is still very inefficient, unless the temperature rise is enough to boil water to produce steam to drive a turbine.
Better to exchange the heat from this to your domestic hot water use, any temperature rise there will be cost effective.
Old 9th June 2007, 10:10 PM   #23
frugal-phile(tm)
diyAudio Moderator

Default Re: Re: Re: Sundown Update

Quote:
Originally posted by MJL21193
Better to exchange the heat from this to your domestic hot water use, any temperature rise there will be cost effective.
That is the intended purpose -- water heating -- and using water-to-air radiators -- to heat the house. I was just wondering if i could tack some electricity generation onto the same energy collection aparatus... looks like it may be more effective to have 2 collection systems (and a bank of batteries)

dave
Old 9th June 2007, 11:11 PM   #24

Default Re: Re: Re: Re: Sundown Update

Quote:

... looks like it may be more effective to have 2 collection systems (and a bank of batteries)

There's a lot of information out there about solar heating, it's a complicated system. To be as efficient as possible a large collection tank is needed to "store" the collected heat until it's needed. This can then be drawn on just like a battery in an electical system, but instead of volts/amps it would draw BTU's.

You still live in BC Dave? Does the rain let up and the sun come out long enough for this to be viable?

Electricity from solar is still grossly inefficient. Cells are expensive, have low output and don't last forever. Ditto for a battery bank. A massive inverter is needed to convert all that DC to useable AC.
Far more efficient is wind turbine, powering an AC generator.
The wind blow out there on the coast Dave?
Goodluck.
Old 10th June 2007, 12:51 AM   #25
frugal-phile(tm)
diyAudio Moderator

Default Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Sundown Update

Quote:
You still live in BC Dave? Does the rain let up and the sun come out long enough for this to be viable?

Electricity from solar is still grossly inefficient. Cells are expensive, have low output and don't last forever. Ditto for a battery bank.

The wind blow out there on the coast Dave?
Even when it is raining you'd be surprised how much heat you can capture. Any electricity generated would be used to drive a separate DC infrastructure. Where i am wind isn't consistent enuff.... and any tower high enough to get above the trees would be nixed by the construction police & be big bucks... harnessing the water course thru the backyard during the winter is a viable option... the more it rains the more it flows.

dave
Old 10th June 2007, 02:00 AM   #26

Default Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Sundown Update

Quote:

Even when it is raining you'd be surprised how much heat you can capture. Any electricity generated would be used to drive a separate DC infrastructure.

If you concentrate on maximizing the heat gain aspect, you could save enough money on both heating your house and heating domestic water, that you wouldn't mind paying for the electricity.
These are the two biggest energy drains in the average house.

More progress has to be made in photovoltaic cell technology before it becomes cheap enough to be cost effective for use on a scale as small as a single house.
To give an idea of how inefficient these cells are it would take about 20 square meters of panel area to power an electric kettle. That's with the sun shining.

A miniature hydro-electric plant in your back yard? It might be more do-able than the solar electric scheme.
Old 10th June 2007, 12:15 PM   #27
v-bro is offline v-bro  Netherlands
diyAudio Member

Check this:
http://voltaicsystems.com/

I also like this idea:
http://people.howstuffworks.com/hydropower-plant4.htm
Attached Images
File Type: jpg hydroelectric-power-shoes.jpg (39.0 KB, 547 views)
Old 10th June 2007, 06:13 PM   #28
frugal-phile(tm)
diyAudio Moderator

Default Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Sundown Update

Quote:
that you wouldn't mind paying for the electricity.
These are the two biggest energy drains in the average house....to power an electric kettle. That's with the sun shining.
The alternate electricity is more of a back-up for when the main power is out. We have wood stove (& BBQ) to boil water.

dave
Old 10th June 2007, 06:22 PM   #29

Default Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Sundown Update

Quote:

The alternate electricity is more of a back-up for when the main power is out. We have wood stove (& BBQ) to boil water.

dave
UPS. Build your own high capacity from marine deep cycle batteries, than trickle charge from the mains. Shouldn't die before power is restored.
Then sit back and wait for solar panels to improve and drop in price, your storage system is done.
Old 11th June 2007, 01:34 PM   #30
pekar is offline pekar  United States
diyAudio Member

Hi Dave,
Have you published those 4.5 liter FE127 plans?
I'd like to see them.
I'm very interested in pushing the limits of what I can get out of this system.

My favorite forum for alternative energy DIY is www.otherpower.com

DIY solar powered boomboxHide this!Advertise here!