Newbie here w/ UCD180 question? - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Class D

Class D Switching Power Amplifiers and Power D/A conversion

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 7th May 2007, 11:27 PM   #1
pinoy82 is offline pinoy82  United States
diyAudio Member

Default Newbie here w/ UCD180 question?

My first post, I'm interested in building my first DIY amp using UCD180 modules, my question is how difficullt is this amp to assemble? I'm not an expert in electronics but i can read all symbols in schematics diagrams and solder if theres a good step by step instructions to follow I can do it. I would like to know if theres a site that sell a complete kit base on UCD amp that has all instructions and documentation how to assemble it from scratch or anyone here can email me all the list of parts that I need w/ instructions. I just want to try and build my first DIY amp and be able to be proud that I made it and see my fruit of labor works. Your comments is greatly appreciated.

Jerry
jerrybh@gmail.com
Old 8th May 2007, 03:28 AM   #2
halitun is offline halitun  United States
diyAudio Member

I recently put a UCD 180 together. I got all of the parts from Hypex. One HG power supply, two UCD 180s with the upgraded opamp buffer, and the toroidal transformer. I had a chassis and bought the rest of the parts from partsconnexion.com. It was more of a layout and chassis machining excercise than a DIY amp project. That said, it was fun to build and the results are very good. I've recently finished a Grounded Grid preamp that I scratch built and am using that with the Hypex amp. It's quite good together. The tube front end gave it just enough warmth to make it more engaging to listen to. It definitely has good soundstage, detail, low end, and clarity to make it worthwhile! I've just moved it upstairs to play on my B&W 803s so I'm still evaluating weather or not it takes over from my old amp (so it's good enough to make it a tough choice). Good luck and have fun!

Hide this!Advertise here!