Tripath Input Coupling Caps

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
WOW Dave. Hugh thanks man! I hope this helps you & anyone else so eager to help me as I'm not a repair tech.

Most of the stuff on the PCBs I recognize and can shop for replacement or upgrade.

What follows is the labels and/or
a description of the caps. Some, like C2 is a no-brainer. But C1 or C3/11/12 I can, at best, only speculate.

C1 Z5F, 220K, 1KV, disc shapped, tan in color
C2 470uf, 10V, polarized, electrolytic
C3/11/12 (ceramic?)
3 tan disc shaped w/ "15" stamped on one side
in parallel, one "reversed" compared to the other two

C5/6 6.8uf +/- 5% 50V, black
C7/8 .1J, 100VF, green; film or polyester
C9/10. 100mf, 50V, polarized, electrolytic

A million thnx

I'll throw in my 2 cents. My friend had me check his Belles Soloist 1, what a gem of sound this thing produces. I noticed that Mr Belles uses the Dayton Audio 5% poly caps in several places (Parts Express). This is a somewhat recent model and maybe your amp could benefit from these, especially if you do not have the $$ to cap roll. I am a committed fan of these inexpensive caps that I think are produced by Bennic in Taiwan.

As for electrolytics, my top choice is the Elna Silmic II, followed by Nichicon MUSE ES.

Best of luck.

Yep, since Tripath went out of business so long ago, you gotta wonder where those chips are coming from. I used to track stocks, and there were piles. But now days, who knows?
Maybe from the same plants that used to make them.

Gawd only knows.
Without sophisticated test gear, All one sees is the plastic coffin/packaging.
Other known Fake chips, when subjected subjected to forensics..revealed that half their circuit/dies were missing.
Wayy cheaper to make that way :)
I have "tripaths" that have gold pins, others that say made in USA, ones where the Labelling is inked on and a couple that are at least Etched.. and 'may' be authentic Not more than 60% sure though.
There are MAJOR differences in sound qualities between them.
Some barely work, some are DOA most die within hours.. let alone have Sound quality.
Yet people buy a 15$ Ebay Tripath 'Amp'... then think they have something special'. Really?
PT Barnum would be Proud.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.