Tripath Input Coupling Caps - Page 43 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Class D

Class D Switching Power Amplifiers and Power D/A conversion

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 7th September 2009, 07:01 AM   #421
m1ke is offline m1ke  England
diyAudio Member

Sorry Bobken I'm new at this. Something went wrong when I tried to post a question about the above.

My query was about the origin of the "no name Teflons" and are they tonally the same as the V-Caps albeit without their refinement?

Regards,

Mike
Old 9th January 2011, 02:46 PM   #422
finaxe is offline finaxe  Canada
diyAudio Member

Cool Mardis burn-in circuit

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davet View Post
The circuit is very simple. I use a FM tumer for the signal source. Below is the Mardis burn-in circuit.

Click the image to open in full size.

The Film caps I am testing with the exception of the MKTs will have better than 600 hours burn-in time on them. I noted the MKTs seemed to get better the more I played them. I suspect they will get better with more time.
Here is the result of my interpretation of the circuit:

Click the image to open in full size.
Old 7th January 2012, 02:50 PM   #423
wlowes is offline wlowes  Canada
diyAudio Member

Default where did the thread go?

Most interested, I read all 43 pages in one go. Then it just stopped. What happened?
Old 8th January 2012, 04:44 AM   #424
Renron is offline Renron  United States
diyAudio Member

Most of us who contributed to this thread, did so out of interest for our projects we were working on at that time. Feel free to contribute your opinions.

Ron
Old 8th January 2012, 12:32 PM   #425
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wlowes View Post
Most interested, I read all 43 pages in one go. Then it just stopped. What happened?
Thanks for waking this thread up, this thread could use an update with what is available now.

A few months ago I discovered the Mundorf M Supremes and did an A/B against a few caps on hand (Epcos, Audiophiler, etc.), they were in another league altogether. Fast forward a few months and I notice HIFIMEDIY is now using a version of these Mundorfs for the input caps on the T4. That says something about HIFIMEDIY and the Mundorfs.
Old 14th July 2012, 04:32 PM   #426
diyAudio Member

I haven't read all 43 pages of this thread.
However, if you would like to test the sonics of a particular cap - buy a Yaqin CD3 tube buffer.

The CD3 is some version of a cathode follower, with a pair of 6sn7 tubes.
There are coupling caps on the input and output - that are very easy to change.
The caps in it are rated at 275v and I used 1uF.

As a coupling cap, I've found the Mundorf M-Cap Supremes make the sonics sound thick and forward.
M-Cap Supremes seem to be very good at filtering harshness from a digital source.

I've also tried Auricaps - which I'd say have a very natural sound,
but the music sounds further back than the Mundorf's.

IMO, AuriCap's and an M Caps Supremes seem to complement each other well.

Also, I'd say as a cap breaks in, its sonics seem to get more transparent.

One thing of note, film caps are non polarized.
However, the outside of the foil should be connected to the low Z side of the circuit,
so that the outside acts like a shield.
Old 14th July 2012, 04:41 PM   #427
diyAudio Member

Here is the bottom view of the Yaqin CD3 tube buffer.

Original AuriCaps coupling the input - Mundorf M-Cap Supreme's on the output.

Not sure if I put them in with the correct orientation,

But they made a huge improvement to the original MKP's.

The unit is now very good at removing digital glare.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg img_0583_2.jpg (921.0 KB, 52 views)
Old 15th July 2012, 06:01 PM   #428
Davet is offline Davet  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uunderhill View Post
However, if you would like to test the sonics of a particular cap - buy a Yaqin CD3 tube buffer.

The CD3 is some version of a cathode follower, with a pair of 6sn7 tubes.
There are coupling caps on the input and output - that are very easy to change. The caps in it are rated at 275v and I used 1uF.

As a coupling cap, I've found the Mundorf M-Cap Supremes make the sonics sound thick and forward. M-Cap Supremes seem to be very good at filtering harshness from a digital source. IMO, AuriCap's and an M Caps Supremes seem to complement each other well.

Also, I'd say as a cap breaks in, its sonics seem to get more transparent.
This thread was originally started to test input caps to the T-Amp amplifiers. The topology I used to test these perspective caps had a minimal amount of circuits. I took this tact in an effort to isolate the sound of the cap. I used a CDP/DVD player as the source; generic ICs; which fed the input capacitor of the T-Amp.

When I undertook testing the various caps, I thought it wasn't pragmatic to consider "boutique" caps for such an inexpensive amplifier. When a single cap, quite often, cost more than the entire T-amp. To such just seemed to me a step in the wrong direction. Therefore, there are links within the thread directing you to test of the more exotic caps embedded in the thread.

Your suggestion for using a tube buffer I think introduces the possiblity of a number of colorizations. There is the input capacitor; the tube; and the output cap. Each yields its on signature on the sound within the tube buffer. I would agree that the balance you achieved with the caps you recommend, may will yield the results you desire for the "tube buffer," but to evaluate caps for T-Amps in general, I believe, such a tact introduces to many variables to determine the sonics of any one capacitor.

In my system I use a tube pre-amp to feed my T-Amps. The pre-amp, ICs, and speaker cables have all been selected by me to "color" the sound to my liking. Yes, I color the sound for my own day to day listening to soften that digital sound. The T-amps I currently use have the generic caps that came with the units. I used the source directly to the T-Amps, as well as, a tube buffer, but I like the balance of the sound (color) that comes from my tube pre-amp.

Overall, it seems that most users of T-Amps seemed to like tube buffers. The input coupling caps are a step short of tube driven front ends. I found that oil filled caps like the Obbligatos provided that tube sound in an input cap without the tube component.

However, If one did choose to use the tube buffer for T-Amp input cap evaluation, you could just bypass the T-Amp input caps. So, once you settled on the buffer input cap and tube, you could then swap output caps. With the bypassed/eliminated T-Amp input cap you could then home in on the sound of the cap you preferred.

Interest in this thread may have waned, because people have found that enjoying the music just took a higher priority. I am not aware of any major enhancements or products in the market in the intervening years. I would gladly consider revisiting testing new caps, but only from a technical perspective. Many people in this hobby have their egos attached to their equipment. All, too, often some misconstrue cost for quality. YMMV.

Hide this!Advertise here!