Tripath Input Coupling Caps

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Bypass Cap Phase IV

After the positive results I heard from Phase III, I figured more had to be better. So, I added a 30pf silver mica I had on hand to the combo. I could not hear any difference.

While the combo was out of the circuit to solder in the 30 pf cap I listened to the WIMAs, Auricaps, and the MKT1822s. The sound from these caps was lacking overall compared to the bypass combo.

All of the above film caps had an emphasis on the bass that sounded somewhat artificial/exaggerated to my ear. The combo seems to yield a greater definition/localization/focus of the performers. Again. words are in the way of what I am hearing. As best I can put it - some of the electricity that one senses at a live performance is regained with the bypass combo.

Considering the bypass combo goes against conventional wisdom regarding boutique caps, I will try the bypass combo less electrolytic against the various films as well as electrolytics.

Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
Re: Resistors and capacitors

robinhelen said:
. Does anyone know of a good reason why the input and feedback resistors cannot be increased to 50k?

50K should be fine. That's the set input impedance of the TAA4100 chip. It uses 1uF input caps.

A little more noise might be a problem, but probably not if your signal path is clean.

Thanks for the replies guys.
I have fitted 4 Kiwame 50k resistors for input and feedback. The result with my 1uf Vitamin q caps is a definite extension to the low bass. I have noticed no detrimental effects. It therefore seems a good way of using a lower value capacitor and saving some cash or spending it on a better quality cap.
My amp is now fully loaded, modded and finished!!!
The most important mods have been the input caps and resistors. kiwames very highly recommended other than being way too big.
Rob

Hi Robin,
now double up the 1uF capacitor or double up the resistors, to give a near 100mS RC time constant on the input.
But, you also need to check that the RC time constant of the DC blocking cap on the NFB loop is >=sqrt(2)*input RC.
Try it with just a cheap polypropylene in parallel to your existing 1uF.

robinhelen,

I'm glad the 50k resistors worked out for you, I just bought 4 68k Shinkoh tantalum film resistors I'll be using with Jupiter 2 uF caps. I didn't make the cap smaller, we'll see if this works out ok... I figure the bass will just be slightly extended.

I did this because my tube preamp wants to see more input impedence in the amplifier.

Davet, thanks for the info, the bypassing experiments are very interesting.

Dave

AndrewT said:
Hi Robin,
now double up the 1uF capacitor or double up the resistors, to give a near 100mS RC time constant on the input.
But, you also need to check that the RC time constant of the DC blocking cap on the NFB loop is >=sqrt(2)*input RC.
Try it with just a cheap polypropylene in parallel to your existing 1uF.

Andrew,
Thanks for the reply. And there was me thinking I was finished LOL!!!!
I must admit you lost me at the 100ms RC time constant. I am very interested however to understand what you mean in more layman like terms lol. I have no measuring equipment other than a multimeter and what you are saying sounds like I might need a scope.....
Adding 1 uf and seeing what it sounds like I can do:D
Rob

robinhelen said:
I have fitted 4 Kiwame 50k resistors for input and feedback. The result with my 1uf Vitamin q caps is a definite extension to the low bass.
1uF and 50k =0.05seconds=50mS.
Double either the capacitor or the resistor to give double the time constant i.e. 100mS. This will lower the high pass input filter a further octave.
If you like the wider bandwidth then buy some more of your capacitors.

robinhelen said:
Davec
I will be interested to hear of thr results with the Shinkoh, they were my other choice. I went for the Kiwame for the promised slightly warmer sound.
I may try another couple of 1 uf caps paralleled t give me 2uf if your results prove favourable
Rob

I've tried Shinkoh, Nude Vishay, Caddock MK132, and cheap metal film in my Trends T amp. All sound a bit different. Vishays were the smoothest and had the best highs and lows. Caddocks seem to be be fairly middle ground. The Shinkohs had a nice fat mid that was very pleasant to listen to, but the highs and lows didnt extend as well as the other caps, and it didn't sound as dynamic. I couldn't use the Shinkohs with obbligatos and mkt1837 in the output caps. There was an additive effect on the mids in every cap, and it sounded bad. I suppose a right combination needs to be found, but the resistors do not have as large of an effect on sound as the input caps.

edit: I just realized your quote had more to do with value of resistors rather than brand. Oops.

The nude Vishay resistors are the TX2353 resistors from http://www.texascomponents.com/. They are basically Vishay S102 without the encapsulation. There is some past discussion on how the S102 and TX2353 compare.

I didn't mean to make it sound like the Shinkohs were bad in comparison. I use them in favor of the others I mentioned. It has a fatter sound than the others, and it works out well for me at the sacrafice of the other things I mentioned. I guess I'm not much of a writer. I don't have the skills like Dave to put the sound into words :)

hello
me to read interesting matters in this post.
I want to change the capacitors coupling in the preamplifier phono solid state .
do I want to ask if Mkt1822 has to use alone, or to use a smaller capacitor for bypass?
are the capacitors of the phono from 1uf, do I have to put bypass? of which dielectric? of which uf?

I want your suggestion.

thanks for help. regards :D

Cap Query Response

alboran said:
I want to change the capacitors coupling in the preamplifier phono solid state .
The following responses are a little off the topic of Tripaths. The sound you get from caps and or bypassing my or may not meet your expectations in the phono/preamp.

Do I want to ask if Mkt1822 has to use alone, or to use a smaller capacitor for bypass?
You may use the MKT1822 (alone) without a bypass. However, you may opt to bypass the MKT1822. Your ears will let you know if you need the bypass caps.

Are the capacitors of the phono from 1uf, do I have to put bypass? of which dielectric? of which uf?
Use a Polypropylene, or metal film capacitors. Teflon capacitors are a more expensive alternative. Try the caps without bypasses and then add the bypasses until you get the sound you like.

Snail Mail

I will be looking forward to receipt of the mail. I have been listening to the bypassed Blackgates with 0.1 Flourinert-teflon, 0.01 film and a 30 pf Silver mica cap. I have just been enjoying music the last couple of weeks.

I haven't done a lot of A/B'ing because of the hassle in changing out caps. I am considering building a new test bed. I am going to start a new thread just to try and get some input on the best way to approach this.See: Bypass Cap Test Query.

Bypass Cap Test results will be posted under this thread.

I have been playing around with the mkp1837 caps from the group buy from this forum. I really like the results using the mkp1837 0.01uf cap with the 2.2uf mkt1822 cap.

I also tried the 0.01uf cap on the Obbligato caps. I found that there was an imbalance towards the high frequencies. I think the problem is that the Obbligato caps seem quieter than the other caps. The high frequencies passing through the bypass cap are louder than the frequencies passing through the larger cap. Would this be a correct assumption to make? Maybe a different bypass cap will work with the obbligatos, but the mkp1837 does not appear to match very well for my tastes.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.