Tripath Input Coupling Caps - Page 11 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Class D

Class D Switching Power Amplifiers and Power D/A conversion

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 29th October 2007, 12:59 AM   #101
Davet is offline Davet  United States
diyAudio Member

Default Test Bed

This is a picture of the Test Bed I am using for the Coupling Cap Test.
I have labeled the various caps on the test bed, and the major components external to the AMP6. Just above Vol (Volume Control) is the sleep toggle for the AMP6, which is not labeled..

All of the cabling is CAT5 and the leads to the caps are all the same length. Thus, any aboration due to the length of the wires is the same for all caps under test.

I regret not having posted tests results of late. Other demands on my time - family, work, etc. have gotten priority over the tests. I will be posting results of test conducted on a pair of film caps over the next week.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg testbed2.jpg (56.4 KB, 1118 views)
Old 30th October 2007, 02:40 PM   #102
diyAudio Member

Hi

Excellent thread

Has anyone tested the Black Gate AC.

Brent
Old 30th October 2007, 03:56 PM   #103
diyAudio Member

The Black Gate AC I am using are 50V 6.8uF and 10uF. Both sound pretty much identical to each other.

Brent
Old 30th October 2007, 08:27 PM   #104
diyAudio Member

Default WIMA Burn-in vs Non-Burned-in Capacitors

I have been testing WIMA 2.2 capacitors at the suggestion of Keith (KP11520). I have tested these caps that currently have about 8 hours burn-in time on them; compared to caps that have had 144+ hours burn-in on them. Evidently, the caps burn-in quite quickly. The distinct difference I heard when I first tested these caps right out of the box (no burn-in) is not as apparent after 8 hours. Therefore, the following was my initial impression of the WIMAs (zero hours burn-in).

Quote:
I have a little more than an hour on the non-burned in caps. I have only compared them to the RatShack caps, thus far. The WIMAs seem to have a much broader soundstage, and they seem to, basically, play louder. There is some initial etchedness in the highs. I am listening to a Mark O'Connor "Hot Swing Trio" CD with Wynton Marsalis and the trumpet just sounds a little to bright and the violin sounds almost "electric" rather than acoustic. I hope the burned in caps are a little less strident.

As for body and soundstage this initial impression is the best I can recall. There seems to be a certain holographic quality here. Where, the violinist sounds like he is moving as he is playing (swaying). I have yet to go back and forth between various caps, or listen to my test suite.
I have since compared the burned-in WIMA caps (BIC) to the non-burned-in WIMA caps (NIC). The BIC is just ever so much smoother. Oboes in Pictures at an Exhibition sound woodier (if that is possible). The BIC seems to have a mellowness to the highs that is not there when the caps were initially tested. I should point out this is not an uncommon phenomena. Comparing the BIC to the NIC - the BICs are just easier to listen to. The highs from the trumpet and the violin on Hold that Tiger from the Mark O’Connor CD will run you out of the room if the cap has not settled down. This was the case in the initial test above, but is not the case at present (8+ hours).

I must say that after 8+ hours on the NIC cap - I no longer make a run for the door. The cap evidently settles comparative quickly. I still hear quite a bit of sibilance on female vocals though on The NIC. This sibilance for the BIC is, virtually, nonexistent. The only real difference I hear between the WIMA BIC and the NIC is in the upper region (highs). There is a certain “sweetness” to the performance from the BIC.

I will subsequently compare the WIMAs to other caps previously tested.
Old 30th October 2007, 09:16 PM   #105
KP11520 is offline KP11520  United States
diyAudio Member

Hi Dave,

It looks like we have ourselves a horserace after all! It's nice to have several choices based on the nuances that our Mod needs!

I am looking forward to the info as it is compiled and reported! Thanks for being a good sport and letting your ears do the talking!

Regards//Keith
Old 31st October 2007, 01:03 AM   #106
diyAudio Member

Keith,

Each of the various capacitors has its own character. I think it depends on your budget, how the capacitor will be mounted, etc. Each of the capacitors I reviewed has merits and it all depends on what the individual desires as to their ultimate choice.

I have only tested one cap whose overall character I wouldn't use. Even then that specific capacitor has a sonic quality that I might choose for listening to specific types of music.

I fear any race will come out as a draw depending on your druthers.
Old 31st October 2007, 01:13 AM   #107
diyAudio Member

Default WIMA 2.2 MFD Review

The following only applies to the burned-in (BIC) WIMA MKP-series 2.2 MFD capacitors as compared to other capacitors I have tested. I also have a set of MKP-series 3.3 MFD WIMAs I will write up only if there is a significant difference over the 2.2 MFD caps.

The WIMAs yields the broadest soundstage of any capacitor I have tested. The sounds seem to emanate from a much wider field than the speakers by at least a meter or so. These capacitors also yield the most body – not presence. Bass just sounds much fuller and acoustic string instruments just have a woody tone. Although, there is more body the presentation is not artificial. The bass sounds balanced and is not so pronounced as to be distracting.

These capacitors play much louder than any other capacitor I have tested. For those that may have concerns about the Tripath amplifiers being able to drive or play louder; then the WIMA is the cap one should choose.

The WIMAs have a certain holographic effect especially on the Mark O’Connor Hot Swing Trio CD. The effect of the violinist swaying back and forth before the microphone is surreal in its life likeness. These capacitors did everything all the other caps did “just” a little better. Only the Auricaps sounded better on large symphonic works. The hall on Pictures at an Exhibition sounds considerably larger when played through the the Auricaps. The WIMAs have a much broader soundstage but the depth is not a great as the Auricaps.

I would use the WIMAs for rock, blues, pop, and any electronic based music. This is not to say that these caps are not to be used for classical recordings. I just think that they are better suited to chamber performances or smaller works over symphonic works. On symphonic works thes caps place you one or two rows back from the orchestra – up close and personal. The WIMAs will just move you so much more than the other caps. If you want to become physically involved in the recording this cap is the one. There is some overall sibilance on female vocals compared to the other films but not as much as the Solens. The sibilance would not be noticeable at all if I had not tested other caps.

The WIMAs are physically large. Not as large as the Obbligatos, but not as small as the Solens, Auricaps, or Radio Shack films. The electrolytic capacitors are microscopic compared to the film caps. These caps should fit on a TA-10.1, printed circuit board but will pose mounting problems for everthing else.

The Auricaps sound somewhat more refined to my ear. This is a personal taste “thing”. I just prefer the overall presentation of the Auricaps. It sounds that the Auricaps just has more air around the performers. The Auricaps are more “relaxed” or laid, back. The performances played through the Auricaps just sound more alive to me.

Detail wise the WIMAs leave nothing to the imagination. These caps deliver everything in a big way.

The BIC WIMAs measured 2.23 MFD and 2.29 MFD. These caps are 10% tolerance 250 Volt units. The MKP series also comes in 5%tolerance. Cost vary widely depending on tolerance, voltage, and distributor. Select a distributor from http://www.wima.com/EN/distribution_int.htm or perform a web search.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg wima.jpg (10.7 KB, 1007 views)
Old 31st October 2007, 01:30 AM   #108
diyAudio Member

Default Film Caps

The attached photograph is of a few of the caps that have been tested. The Blackgate was included for the purpose of scaling the relative size of the various capacitors. In addition there is a ruler in the photo.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg film caps.jpg (35.5 KB, 1060 views)
Old 31st October 2007, 03:13 AM   #109
KP11520 is offline KP11520  United States
diyAudio Member

Hi Dave,

Nice work! I am with you that each has a nuance to its own and you may choose certain caps based on what your equipment is missing. My CD Player for instance is nice but kind of cold so the Wima MKP10 and the Obbligato Film/Oil are what I am going to test! I think it is going to be a hard decision and I might also try the Auricaps just to really make the decision really painful!

So are you going to change the Output Caps in your CD/DVD Player now too? What about your Preamp? This can really turn into a sickness?

I need a nice Steamed Crab dinner and watch re-runs of "The Deadliest Catch," while I am changing the caps in all my equipment!

So sad and so exciting! Pass the melted butter, please!

Regards//Keith
Old 31st October 2007, 03:55 AM   #110
diyAudio Member

Default Cap Replacement

For the moment I will not be changing any of the caps in my equipment. This would alter my test platform. Although, the preamp is not a part of this test platform. I still have a number of test, yet, to perform

The coupling caps in my tube preamp are Auricaps. I don't recall what coupling caps are in my DVD player, but they are not the stock caps. They are either Panasonics or Blackgates. I know I have Auricaps for the Swenson mod, but I never implemented it.

I admit I had a bias to Auricaps before undertaking these tests. I wonder if there is a degree of synergy that exist, for there are Auricaps in my speaker crossover, as well. Be forewarned the Auricaps take a long time to break in and settle down - around 200+ hours.

Everyone has their favorite cap. I really enjoy all of the films I tested. The various strengths make it hard to like just one. In my "ultimate" T-Amp I will probably include three or more caps with a switch that allows me to switch between them for various recordings.

As to steamed crab dinner - you aren't referencing the "Burn-in Crab" are you? It might be a little tough to chew compared to Chesapeake Bay Blue Crabs.

Hide this!Advertise here!