Surface mount vs. through-hole sound quality? - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Class D

Class D Switching Power Amplifiers and Power D/A conversion

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 2nd May 2007, 05:15 AM   #1
Boomy is offline Boomy  Canada
diyAudio Member

Default Surface mount vs. through-hole sound quality?

Hello everyone. I am building a class T amp for a class project. My instructor has a demo that he built using mostly surface mount resistors and caps. It sounds pretty good, but I am wondering if high quality through-hole components will give me better sound quality? I'm aiming to squeeze all of the fidelity I can out of this little chip.
Old 2nd May 2007, 06:14 AM   #2
BWRX is offline BWRX  United States
diyAudio Moderator Emeritus

There is a common misconception that through hole parts "sound" better than surface mount parts. There are differences in construction methods and quality between any kind of parts. You can get a good metal film resistor in a surface mount or through hole package that for all audio intents and purposes will perform equally.

The advantage of surface mount components is that they give you more flexibility when routing a PCB. Smaller parts can mean a tighter layout, less parasitics, and better performance at higher frequencies (i.e. class d).
Old 2nd May 2007, 08:13 AM   #3
Account Disabled

SMT offers a very small footprint thus enhances compactness
Old 4th May 2007, 12:04 AM   #4
Muniz is offline Muniz  United States
diyAudio Member

Smaller components tend to produce better performance in my experience. One of the larger issues the designer has to deal with is HF EMI induced into the small signal linear stage (front end buffers, etc). Keeping the parts tiny helps to keep loops small and keeps potential antennas small.

The same argument can be made for the power / driver stages; smaller parts keep radiating loops and parasitic inductances small.

All of this within the constraints of appropriate power dissipation and voltage ratings of course.

A notable exception are the resistors used for feedback. Even Rs have voltage coefficients and SMT Rs have worse performance in this regard. 0402s worse than 0603, etc. Stick with 1206 or 2x1206 to be safe.
Old 4th May 2007, 03:47 PM   #5
fumac is offline fumac  China
diyAudio Member

Send a message via MSN to fumac
Default Re: Surface mount vs. through-hole sound quality?

Quote:
Originally posted by Boomy
Hello everyone. I am building a class T amp for a class project. My instructor has a demo that he built using mostly surface mount resistors and caps. It sounds pretty good, but I am wondering if high quality through-hole components will give me better sound quality? I'm aiming to squeeze all of the fidelity I can out of this little chip.
in class-d, yes,
u can get low Distribution of capacitance and inductance ,
it make ur damp running fine in a hi-speed.

but some high power project, u cant find or hard to find a hi-power Component in SMD,

so...

best rg
fumac

Hide this!Advertise here!