New ICE modules?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hello all

Has there been any major upgrade in the ICE concept, besides SMPS, since the launch in 2001-2002?

Anybody knows if there is something going on in the near future? Have plans fore buying an ICE amplifier, but can wait if there is some upgrade, re-design or new models on the block.

Baard

New ICE Power

I have a pair of the new 50ASX2 modules sitting in my office. 50W x 2 into 4 ohms. These are half bridge amps using their new driver chip from Sanyo. So they can be bridged.

With 120/240V power supply. And very reasonably priced. I got mine about the same time another fellow I know got his, a designer over at JBL. We joked over who saw them first.

The 125ASX2 and 250ASX2 modules a expected shortly.

Did I mention that we were both OEM buyers. Sorry folks but these are indeed unobtanium for the regular DIYer. But then I am also very happy with my Hypex UCD180 and UCD400 modules as well. They sound different than ICE Power but do not sound worse in any way. Still a very good product that you can indeed buy.

However, for other projects I am trying out the IRAUDAMP4 reference design from IR. I've already held JBL's prototype in my hands and am working on adapting it for 2 ohm operation in car amps.

And no, we are prohibited from selling ICE modules from our OEM stock. I talked to ICE about this a year or so ago and the roblem from their standpoint is that it takes a fairly skilled designer to deploy their modules reliably and they feel they cannot sell them for enough to the DIY market to justify the level of support they think they will have to provide to give total customer satisfaction. And they will not settle for less than total satisfaction.

Disagree if you like but they have made their decision.

Dan

ICE Chip

In fact their are 2 dedicated ICE chips used in B&O's 3rd generation ICEPower amp modules. Its the ICC1 and ICC3. ICC1 is the dedicated COM (Controlled Oscillation Modulation) and MECC (Multivariable Enhanced Cascade Control ) IC and ICC3 is a dedicated driver IC for the MosFets.
Both are also used in Eclipse car amplifier which can be bought for just $105. Pioneer is also using these ICs in some of their car amps. You might like to check out my website for info on ICC1 and ICC3. I included also the block / functional diagrams of both ICs.
I did contact Pioneer and I can order ICC1 for 20 euros and ICC3 for 10 euros each. Guess patent yes or no, it does not matter.
Wim
link to website wim

Dear all.
I need your help. I damaged my 125ASX2. Both MOSFETS (TR300 and TR301 - marked in
red elipse) are broken - but I know what it is.
But under the trafo, next to these Mosfets ,here is some SMD component (follow the red arrow) which is totally broken and there is no letter on the board
Do you know what it is?
An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

Thank you very much.

I have one of those amps in my hand right now. it came from an active monitor by D.A.S.
Looks like you have blown up the mains area of the board.
underneath, starting from the edge:
there is a small capacitor; I haven't measured this.
a tubular 1 Ohm resistor
The large diode is marked EB27
the small diodes are marked A6
the 3 legged device is marked 5Ct
the 2 SMD resistors are 10 Ohms

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.