• Disclaimer: This Vendor's Forum is a paid-for commercial area. Unlike the rest of diyAudio, the Vendor has complete control of what may or may not be posted in this forum. If you wish to discuss technical matters outside the bounds of what is permitted by the Vendor, please use the non-commercial areas of diyAudio to do so.

new ChipAmp.com website - LM4780 kit and more

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Retired diyAudio Moderator
Joined 2002
Hello,

I finally got around to getting the new website completed, with a tremendous amount of help from Vikash:
http://www.chipamp.com

I have changed the kit structure around. With the ceasing of production for the Blackgate capacitors, I have decided to stop offering premium kits. It has become quite a hassle to keep stock of the other exotic components as well. There is always the option of buying the kit and upgrading the components on your own. Here are products that I will be offering from now on:
  • LM4780 Dual Mono Kit $55.00
  • LM4780 PCB set $20.00
  • LM3875 Dual Mono Kit $45.00
  • LM3875 Stereo Kit $40.00
  • LM3875 PCB Set $15
The LM4780 kits and boards will be shipping in mid/late october. Two prototypes have been built for the design, so I do not expect to have any problems with the first batch of boards. The boards are currently 80% finished at the board house and should ship to me soon.

The LM3875 kits are the same as the previous basic kits, with the addition of the zobel network components. Also, instead of offering monoblock upgrades, I have changed the structure to just offering 2 different types of LM3875 kits. There is a $5 increase in the pricing for the LM3875 kits, which is partially for the zobel network components.

There are more details for the kits on www.chipamp.com

Twice a month, I will be featuring an amp from my gallery:
http://www.briangt.com/gallery/nigc
and the owner of the amp that I choose will receive a free pcb set (your choice: LM4780 or LM3875), so continue to mail in your pictures to:
featuredamp@chipamp.com

The orders will still be handled in the same method as previously:
US and International orders will be split up. For the US orders, I will be putting the kits together and shipping them out. For the Canadian/International orders, I will ship all of the parts for the orders to Peter Daniel, in Canada, and he will be shipping them out. This will create a lower shipping cost for Canadian residents, and make the orders more manageable for me. This setup has caused some delays in the past, due to the long shipping delays to canada, but I will try my best to lessen these delays through better shipping methods and sending additional parts for anticipated orders.

--
Brian

Nice Site

Very professional looking site Brian and Vikash. I am looking forward to a lot of good things coming from your's and Peter's collaboration. Thanks for sharing your hard work and making our hobby more fun with less hassle. Pretty soon I'll get around to thinking for myself about these amp projects, but for now I am having to much fun putting your designs together and doing my own little tweeks.

Joined 2002
jajabin said:
Hi Brain,

Are you going to provide a bridge board with the 4780 kit in future?

Wing

Wing,

This is a future project on my list. Once the boards arrive, I will work with Peter to prototype a design for the bridging board. I decided that it would be better to work out a quality design, instead of throwing a quick one together to include with the pcbs.

--
Brian

Hi BrianGT,
the bridge board Wing is talking about is an additional board to "couple" two mono LM4780 chip amp to make a more powerful mono amp, right?

Since I would like to drive a DIY sub, I'm interested in power.

1) how many mono amp could you bridge, 2, 4?
2) is there a "quick" way to wire-bridge two mono boards/amp?
3) how many Watt could I expect from a 2 or 4 bridged board/amp?

Thank you for your time, as you can argue I'm a complete newbie, but ready and willing...

beatrix_choice

Congratulations for your new web site. It looks real nice. :nod: My homepage would also need a graphical update but I haven't got the time or skills for it. 1923 pages is a bit much.

Don't forget to move your webring code or add this new site also. Do this and I will earn a couple of cents! You get money from the webring if you manage to get new unique webring members. Why? Don't know really.

Joined 2002
rnoble said:
VERY nice site, I saw Vikash's page and think you made a brilliant choice enlisting his help!

With international kits that have been ordered in the last two weeks (for the LM3875), I believe they may not have been shipped yet, does this mean these kits will include the Zobel network components you are adding to the new ones?

Cheers
Rod

Thanks for the compliments. As for the zobel components, I have already mailed all the parts for these orders to Peter, and haven't mailed any zobel components to him yet. I wasn't planning on including them with the previous kits, but drop me an e-mail and we can work something out.

--
Brian

Brian, as a reaction on your first post inthis tread (your startpost): can you tell me what the status is of my order (basic kt + extra MUR's)?

I ask becouse a long time has gone between now and when i ordered.

Can you tell me the status?

Thanks, and proficat with your new website!!

Wim Souer

wim said:
Brian, as a reaction on your first post inthis tread (your startpost): can you tell me what the status is of my order (basic kt + extra MUR's)?

I ask becouse a long time has gone between now and when i ordered.

Can you tell me the status?

Thanks, and proficat with your new website!!

Wim Souer

The major cause for delay was that we run out of the boards and new batch had to be ordered.

Yesterday, I received the boards (and parts) from Brian, and will be sending all outstanding international orders tomorrow.

Sorry for delay.

What power could I get?

Hi Brain and Peter,

Would you please tell me what is the output power of the LM4780 parallel amp kit? I plan to use it driving my old Hales Concept Two (i.e 86dB 6ohm), do you think

I have built your premium LM3875 kit and it sound wonderful for me. I tell you what, I have made a side by side comparison to the 50W version Gaincard and your kit beat the pants off of it!!!

I plan to use your LM4780 kit driving my old Hales Concept Two (i.e 86dB 6ohm), do you think it is capable for this?

Do you think the 4780 have the same sound quality of 3875?

Dennis

You are not the first reporting that this configuration of LM3875 sounds better than the GainCard. ;) Of course the implementation of the rest of the circuit is also important (transformer, chassis).

Attached is the graph showing power vs. supply voltage in parallel mode.

I was briefly listening to LM4780 amp circuit, and it sounded very promising. I can't say if it produces the same "magic" as the smaller chip, but it definitely have more drive in the low frequencies. Highs also seemed to be a bit different, more distinct and very clean.

So it has the same qualities as 3875, at the same time providing character of its own. I will be testing more extensively those chips when the boards are made, it's much easier this way, and comparison will be more fair (same chassis and parts for both amps).

More info here: http://www.national.com/ds/LM/LM4780.pdf

Attachments

• 4780power.jpg
    4780power.jpg
    35.6 KB · Views: 2,073
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.