Go Back   Home > Forums > > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Chipamp IC amp kits & PC boards from ChipAmp

Old 6th February 2018, 11:27 PM   #41
Hogwild is offline Hogwild  Canada
diyAudio Member

No, and yes. I used a pair of white wires. But I kept track of which was + and which was return.
Old 6th February 2018, 11:32 PM   #42
scottjoplin is offline scottjoplin  Wales
diyAudio Member

Well, if they are tightly twisted they will probably be ok, I've no idea why the coax you used was noisier, it shouldn't be
Old 8th February 2018, 10:04 PM   #43
diyAudio Member

Hmmm....the shipping seems to be awfully slow. It looks like the POTs won't be here until tomorrow, or even Monday or Tuesday.
Old 9th February 2018, 07:36 PM   #44
flexus is offline flexus  Austria
diyAudio Member

scottjoplin: thx a lot for explaining dc offset! i think i got the same problem here. after my case build i will try out the 10k pot on the input.

if it's ok i post my 3886 problem here.
atm i'm building my case. progress is good but i got shortage of space. the psu doesn't fit on the floor so i wanted to mount it "freeair" with 1mm steelband.
my question: is this ok regarding safety of operation? i'm afraid after stronger movement the psu moves around with this kind of mounting. hope you understand what i mean.

Click the image to open in full size.

Last edited by flexus; 9th February 2018 at 07:49 PM. Reason: fixing pics
Old 9th February 2018, 11:09 PM   #45
diyAudio Member

Nice heatsink, it wants to be mounted on the outside of the case, won't that give you room for the power supply?
Old 10th February 2018, 08:17 AM   #46
flexus is offline flexus  Austria
diyAudio Member

right, the heatsink is looking gorgeous, but i got 6 of these puppies (amps) and wanted to maintain a steady look because in the end they will sit next to each other. my collection of heatsinks all look different. "only" a visual appearance problem, but i will take a look, maybe i find more of those heatsinks secondhand.
..or i build a bridge with the steel band. some riveting on the outside won't look too bad.
i'm excited to fire them all up without dc offset problems *rubbing hands*
Old 16th February 2018, 12:39 AM   #47
diyAudio Member

scottjoplin:

Got the POTS a couple of days ago. Wait, I'm confused, if I'm not putting it in a screened case (I don't even know what that is) you're saying I shouldn't bother with aluminum foil? Then what I should I do for next test? Just connect RCA outputs directly to POT and POT to amp boards? Does everything need to be soldered to reduce noise, or can wires just be twisted together with caps or ??

Big newbie here.
Old 16th February 2018, 07:22 AM   #48
diyAudio Member

Hi, a screened case just means one made out of metal usually, yes, wire the sockets to the pot and the pot to the amp, and solder all the connections. Mount the sockets and the potentiometer in the case so they are held securely in place
Old 16th February 2018, 05:14 PM   #49
diyAudio Member

scottjoplin:

Thanks, will try to do that soon. No case yet. Still in testing stage.

Last edited by Hogwild; 16th February 2018 at 05:35 PM.
Old 17th February 2018, 03:24 AM   #50
diyAudio Member

I assume it will suffice to use cheap, really thin RCA cables? I don't have any high-end interconnects.

LM3886 - Noisy signal unless inputs shortedHide this!Advertise here!