Go Back   Home > Forums > > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Chipamp IC amp kits & PC boards from ChipAmp

Old 4th September 2017, 06:58 PM   #1
Hogwild is offline Hogwild  Canada
diyAudio Member

Default input RC

Hi everyone:

I've had to take a very long extended break, but now am ready to try to finish up some work on my Chipamp LM3886 dual mono project.

Question: What are the components at the beginning of the circuit? IT was marked as a Zobel network, but IIRC, Allan from (the now defunct) Chipamp.com said it was an input RC filter. Is that correct? Is it a LP filter? HP filter? Does anyone know?

Thanks
Old 4th September 2017, 07:05 PM   #2
rayma is offline rayma  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hogwild View Post
Chipamp.com said it was an input RC filter. Is that correct? Is it a LP filter? HP filter?
At the input, it's a low pass filter, if the capacitor is a small value and is connected to ground.
It's a high pass filter if the cap is a large value and is in series with the signal.
You also can have both, like this. http://www.circuitbasics.com/wp-cont...2-1024x862.png

Last edited by rayma; 4th September 2017 at 07:10 PM.
Old 4th September 2017, 08:54 PM   #3
diyAudio Member

Thanks. The cap, Cz appears to be a Vishay 100nF 63V. I'm guessing (no knowledge at all of electronics) that this is a "small" value?

I have almost no knowledge/experience with electronics, so I'm having a hard time being sure of the resistor (Rz) colours. It looks to me like Orange Violet Gold Gold. When I tested it on two diff. boards with a DMM, it measured 2.8 ohms. As for ground, the two components were never added to the Chipamp.com schematic. And I don't know how to tell just by looking at the PCBs.

Can anyone confirm these values?

Is that a LP or HP filter? (I don't know what high or low values would be, due to my lack of knowledge).

Thanks

Last edited by Hogwild; 4th September 2017 at 08:59 PM.
Old 4th September 2017, 09:07 PM   #4
rayma is offline rayma  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hogwild View Post
Thanks. The cap, Cz appears to be a Vishay 100nF 63V. It looks to me like Orange Violet Gold Gold.
it measured 2.8 ohms. Is that a LP or HP filter?
The 100nF is a relatively large value, and is a coupling capacitor, forming a high pass (bass cut) filter.
A Orange-Violet-Gold-Gold resistor should be 3.7R with 5% tolerance.
Old 4th September 2017, 11:05 PM   #5
diyAudio Member

Okay, so....have I got the colours wrong or ?? Here's the LiquidAudio page on which he shows building his kit
LM3886 Chip Amp / gainclone amplifier construction project

There is a closeup photo captioned "Here's a reverse view..." showing the input resistor Rz and its colours.
Can you tell from that photo what colours those are? It's hard to see on my board.
Old 4th September 2017, 11:11 PM   #6
tomchr is offline tomchr  Canada
diyAudio Member

Is this the resistor you're talking about? It's a 2.7 Ω. 1 W or 2 W type (should really be at least 2 W).

That's on the output. It's part of the Zobel network.

Tom
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Screen Shot 2017-09-04 at 17.08.19.jpg (74.9 KB, 85 views)
Old 4th September 2017, 11:19 PM   #7
diyAudio Member

Yeah, no schematic. I was told by Allan @ Chipamp that in spite of the designation "z" for Zobel, neither of these components constituted a Zobel network, that they were an input RC filter, but my knowledge level is zero. Can anyone else be sure?
Old 4th September 2017, 11:29 PM   #8
tomchr is offline tomchr  Canada
diyAudio Member

You can always follow the traces on the board. Show where it connects. I bet that resistor and the grey 100 nF cap next to it are connected in series. One end of the series connection connects to pin 3 (output) of the LM3886 and the other end connects to ground. That'd be the Zobel network.

Tom
Old 5th September 2017, 12:15 AM   #9
diyAudio Member

Er...are you sure? I am planning to use a MiniDSP for crossover duties. That won't get in the way of the MiniDSP will it? If you're sure that it's a Zobel, and I want an input RC, I will need to add my own, I guess, right?
Old 5th September 2017, 01:13 AM   #10
nigelwright7557 is offline nigelwright7557  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

There is often a low pass filter on the input.
This is to filter out RF from radio etc

I had an old amp many years ago without one that picked up police radio very well.

input RCHide this!Advertise here!