• Disclaimer: This Vendor's Forum is a paid-for commercial area. Unlike the rest of diyAudio, the Vendor has complete control of what may or may not be posted in this forum. If you wish to discuss technical matters outside the bounds of what is permitted by the Vendor, please use the non-commercial areas of diyAudio to do so.

OOPS! bought transformer without dual secondaries

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I purchased an 300VA AnTek AN-3440 for my stereo LM3885 kit with single power supply (so far). It looks like I can have dual secondaries if I want 40V (which I don't) but only single secondaries for 12V or 18V (which I want). Can I split one of the secondaries between the "top" AC1 and the "top" AC2, then split the other secondary between the "bottom" AC1 and "bottom" AC2. Well, of course I can, but I mean, Will it work if I do? Looking at the power supply schematic, it looks like it will work, but I'm afraid of frying something.

Do I need to buy another transformer with dual secondaries?

Attachments

• ChipAmp snubberized poser supply.gif
    ChipAmp snubberized poser supply.gif
    21.4 KB · Views: 269
Just another Moderator
Joined 2003
Paid Member
I think you should look at returning the transformer :) without at least a centre tap you would need to implement a voltage doubler type rectifier circuit which as far as I am aware is only suitable for low current.

You certainly can't wire up a single secondary to those two bridges and get your +ve and -ve rails.

Also torroidals with main windings (seems your main windings are 2 X 40V) and then additional lower voltage windings, usually have much lower current capability on the lower voltage ones.

BTW did you mean LM3886?

edit: tinitus, I checked out the spec on the transformer, and it has dual 40V secondaries, but only one single 18V and one single 12V and he want's one of those lowever voltages...

Tony.

Ex-Moderator R.I.P.
Joined 2005
edit: tinitus, I checked out the spec on the transformer, and it has dual 40V secondaries, but only one single 18V and one single 12V and he want's one of those lowever voltages...

Tony.

yes, thanks, I checked too, and it appears to be so

specs on Antek site are not very clear, and makes it hard to order
for whatever reason I cannot open pdf file with detailed specs :(

maybe 2215 or 2218 would have been a more obvious choise
but then I can't see the difference between AS and AN versions

If you need to use this transformer, use the two 40 V secondaries in parallel, to create a single supply of approximately 56 VDC. This is an ideal voltage to run a pair of LM3886 bridged into 8 ohms. And a single supply is also ideal for bridged output since you don't need output capacitors. If you use the single supply without a bridge-tied-load then you need the large output capacitors.

Thank's everyone

Thank you, everyone for the help.

I didn't mention that the diagram is from Chipamp.com, and the transformer does not represent my transformer. I want the lower voltages, because Chipamp.com states this will lead to a more stable amp into 4 ohms, and the 4 ohm speakers are already built. The power supply is already built, so I'd like to use it as is. I didn't know that additional secondaries often have lower current capabilities than the higher voltage secondaries. That's good to know.

I actually bought a pair of these transformers used, so I can't return them, but at least I didn't pay much for them! I can use the pair to test my amp, then replace them with a more suitable transformer before I put them in a case.

The Anteks will just have to wait for my next amplifier project

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.