• Disclaimer: This Vendor's Forum is a paid-for commercial area. Unlike the rest of diyAudio, the Vendor has complete control of what may or may not be posted in this forum. If you wish to discuss technical matters outside the bounds of what is permitted by the Vendor, please use the non-commercial areas of diyAudio to do so.

My new Journey

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
After reading and reading and more reading I have finally made the decision to jump into building a new system using Chipamp's. So far I really like what I see and will soon get my order off to Brain. I am planning on using the LM3886 kits as the basis.

Other things I have planned:

1) Building small inexpensive book shelf speakers

2) CDROM Controller

3) FM Radio

So to get this started several questions come to mind:

1) Selection of transformer. Good deals, best one without going broke, etc.

2) Case selection. Again I do not want to go over the top, just want something that looks nice.

3) Heat sinks for the LM3886's. How much heat do they really produce. I have seen pictures of projects with massive heat sinks and others using aluminum bar in case construction.

4) I have found a CDROM controller from HiLife (China I think). Am I wasting my money here?

So let the journey begin.

Dean

For a transformer id shoot for a 150-200va unit from parts express(avel) or from antekinc.com

They seem to be the cheapest with still nice quallity.

for a case id shoot for one made out of alum and mount them directly to the case. The kit comes with 3886 with no backs so they are not conductive. Im mounting mine to the case aluminum part of the case.

Your really going to play cds??? a computer cd audio out is going to be the worse sounding way of getting music from a cd to your unit. Your better off using a ipod with a bottom line out and a volume pot. That bypasses the crappy ipod amps and is just cap coupled rca out. believe it or not ipods have a decent dac in them.
for me im planing on using an older 1AA powered mp3 player with a built in fm radio for the shop.

Non-technical answer is that they don't require much heat sinking. I'd be happy with a small thick plate connected to the side or base of any metal chassis.

Technical answer is in the datasheet.

Also consider a wireless music streamer, it's the only source I use (ripped CDs and internet radio).

Last edited:
The Apple Airport Express also comes highly recommended, with the following caveats: use the digital out with a decent DAC and it only plays iTunes unless you spring for AirFoil ($25). Pros are: very good graphical remote if you already own an iPhone or iPod Touch, comes with wireless-n access point, you can also attach a USB printer. $99.

Sonos also makes really nice looking gear but is WAY more expensive than the Squeezebox or an Airport Express. Sonos - Wireless Multi-Room Music System

As for an enclosure, you can re-use an old radio or other cool looking box. For my own chipamp I went to a metal working shop and had a sheet of aluminium cut and bent in a wide U shape, the front, bottom and back for my amp. Pro: exactly the size I want. I'm going to build a wooden enclosure around it, probably out of MDF, 8mm thick. Think of it as a box where the amp will slide into. There are tons of neat (and much better!) ideas on this board, though.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.