briangt PSU 1 transformer, 2 PSU, how to?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
So I have the BrianGT dual mono kit, most recent iteration. There are two PSU/rectifier boards. I am assembling one channel first to verify things.

One question that comes up is that the first PSU board I have has terminals to connect 4 wires to off the transformer. I have a Avel trafo from parts express and am following this wiring diagram from another thread:

http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/attachment.php?s=&postid=681376&stamp=1121283775

This shows all 4 secondary wires going into one PSU board. My question is, using one transformer, do I not use the second PSU board at all, or is there another way to wire this up?

The only problem I have found is that you might experience hum due to the two channels interacting through the transformer with this set up. I think the Dual Mono Brian GT kits are designed to be used with either 1 power supply board or 2 transformers. I wrote a thread about it:

http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=95451

Fingers crossed you don't run into this problem, but I did and it bugged me for ages until I figured it out. Now I am waiting to fit the second transformer.

Mayday said:
Used this as stargnd, and connected them to it and safety gnd to it aswell.

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

ianpengelly said:
Mayday,

Glad you had good results from moving to two transformers... I'll be off to the garage today to try and get mine modified.

Andrew,

I am ashamed to say I still haven't got round to building a disconnecting network.
Mayday has got it to work without a disconnecting network.
Look back to his amp photo and you can see his grounding wires going to the tag strip just above the CE label (right of centre).

The stargnd is simply a solder support(don't know if that's even a correct name, just translated straight from swedish), I bought it silverplated, then i connected the solderpoints together using 0,8mm(diameter) silverplated copperwire.
Normally I'd use 0,6mm(diameter) solid silver with teflontubing as insulator as internal wiring, but this build was my first chipamp, I wasn't shure about soundquality so I didn't want to spend too much.

Wires from boards to stargnd are 1,5 square mm pure copper. Also from stargnd to safety earth.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.