Sikorel or Silmic for gainclone?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Sorry - it's another capacitor question!

I have 1000uF 50V Silmic ARS caps and 470uF 35V Sikorel 125 that I could use in my next 'compact' gainclone?

Anyone compared these two options? I would use double up the Sikorels to give me 940uF per channel per rail.

Thanks in advance....

Sikorel in my books, don't think you can easily beat them in slew rate.... but the PRICE!!!!!!!!!!!

I have heard people who didn't think they were THE best sonicaly.

But I don't think it is a dealbreaker... The parallel caps will also present half the impedance!!!! Which is good.

Those sikorel's are axial caps though, so your and my idea of compact differs.

After reading Bob Cordells views on power supplies, I am keen to try something different with this 'clone'.

I've built the audiosector amplifier boards with 2x 470uf sikorel 125 per rail per channel. No bypass caps or snubbers used.

I have also got a couple of 2200uf sikorel 105 (100V) and am tempted to mount these from V+ to V- on each amp board. This is supposed to offer increased noise reduction on the psu rails, and also allow the capacitance sitting on both rails to ground to provide current during current drain on one rail (as capacitance on the other rail can 'feed' current through the V+ to V- cap to aid the demand on the opposite rail).

Anyone tried anything similar? I posted the results of previous V+ to V- tests previously, though I only tried small film caps and not large electrolytics.

Also, would it help to bypass this cap?

I'm happy to try these options myself, but would be keen to hear of others experiences...

Thanks.

Ex-Moderator
Joined 2005
I use a 0.22uF ceramic rail to rail decoupling cap along with 0.1uF ceramic rail to ground decoupling caps in parallel with Panasonic FM electrolytic caps in my LM3875 amp. I probably wouldn't be able to tell a difference if the 0.22uF cap was removed but it is only there to help shunt any high frequency noise.

Either of the caps you're planning on using are nice so I wouldn't get too caught up in which would be better.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.