One T-amp per speaker, for fullrange driver? - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Chip Amps

Chip Amps Amplifiers based on integrated circuits

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 21st March 2007, 07:14 PM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default One T-amp per speaker, for fullrange driver?

Hi, im new here and im thinking about getting one (or two) t-amp(s).

Is it possible to use one T-amp per speaker?

Im going to get two full range drivers, i.e. one in the left cabinet and one in the right, so i guess this rules out biwiring?

Im thinking about doing this mostly because i hear that alot of people are talking about that t-amps cant play that loud.

If this is possible would the amps be able to play louder before they start cliping?

Apreciate any answer i can get!
Old 21st March 2007, 07:32 PM   #2
Fenris is offline Fenris  United States
diyAudio Member

If you mean bridging the T-amps, then no. They already use a bridged topology, so you can't cross-connect them or it will destroy the amp.

Bi-wiring is pointless with only one speaker (and of dubious value with more than one).

Even if you could connect them together in parallel and there were no issues (which only happens in theory, not in this reality), to get any appreciable increase in power output you would have to use a 2 ohm speaker. Granted, with a 4 ohm speaker, you would get a slightly higher power output before the THD rises dramatically, but with an 8 ohm speaker there would probably be no appreciable difference.

The secret with a T-amp is to use an efficient speaker or not to need to turn it up too much (i.e. small listening room, minimal ambient noise, nearfield listening, etc.).

P.S. - This should probably go in the Class-D forum rather than chipamp.
Old 21st March 2007, 07:50 PM   #3
phn is offline phn  Sweden
diyAudio Member

Don't worry about the power. It has plenty of power. One T-amp is more than enough for your speakers.

Of course, there are people who are always going to subscribe to bigger, stronger, badder.

Quote:
What kind of man uses those gigantic hulking solid state amplifiers which never achieve subtly of tone, whose great claim is their pure brutish power? Why would a man need such gigantic hulks in their living rooms? You guessed it...and I am taking the liberty to be creative in my translation...and admit that I too once created amplifiers for this customer...and this may be a new law of audio existence: amplifier size is inverse to penis size. Men who own those gigantic solid state amplifiers have small penises...actually or metaphorically, and men who use small amplifiers have large penises either actually or metaphorically. When we size up this matter, I believe what Kimura is telling us, is that sexually secure men, men who are confident about their sensuality do not need those Goliaths of solid state power.

Junji Kimura only designs audio gear for sexually secure men.
From http://www.sakurasystems.com/reviews/reviews2.html
Old 21st March 2007, 09:48 PM   #4
diyAudio Member

Default One T-amp per speaker, for fullrange driver?

Ok, thanks for the answers!

Then ill just buy one T-amp. Im going to use it with Fostex FE 127E/126E drivers, which has about 92 dB sensitivity, so i guess that will do.

Next time I will try to post in the correct forum

Cheers mates
Old 27th March 2007, 09:40 PM   #5
! is offline !  United States
diyAudio Member

I seldom if every listen to music really loud, and own a modded T-amp. I must say it is not loud enough for many uses, the idea about macho power whatever is nonsense. It lacks dynamic range unless kept within it's limits. It sounds great and is a good deal for what it is, but if you want medium opposed to low volume without losing dynamics, you ought to go with a 41Hz.com Amp of your choosing instead of the T-amp.

Hide this!Advertise here!