So, where's the manual? :)

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Howdy!

I'm new here and just as new to DIY audio, but hoping to change that! I'm tissue engineer/stem cell biologist with nearly no fundamental electronics knowledge whatsoever beyond a couple of college physics classes to go on. I'm wanting to learn more about electronics/circuits, and thought what better way to learn then to build simple piece or two of audio gear to play with!

At that, I'm looking for where to begin. I'm wondering where I might get a good primer before ordering a kit and digging in, to learn what I'm looking at and placing together, what each part is doing on its own and with respect to the whole, how to read a circuit diagram, and how not to set an electrical fire to my face, etc.? Anyone have a good amp building book or similar you would suggest or an informative website you could share?

Again, my basic electronics knowledge is limited. However, I've soldered countless wires and parts and am quite mechanically inclined (built 2 muscle cars from the engine to the body work, etc with my own two paws, did a mindless point-point preamp kit and do lots of surgeries and high-dexterity lab work), and quite interested in learning electronics basics without taking a class or spending a thousand hours reading this wonderful sight :)

FWIW, I'm new to DIY but not to good/audiophile sound, with extensive experience with some of the best stuff out there in the $10-15K 2ch system range. With that said, I would like to build not just functional but good to great sounding DIY gear, not just hack something together, just to know where I'm going with this beyond learning the basics! I'd love to build my own speakers, an amp and USB dac for a bedroom or office system and would greatly appreciate any pointers or general advice, perhaps even from your beginnings in DIY. Thanks much for any insights or references!

Hi Socrates welcome to our mad hobby.

Where to begin... there is just so many facets, trying to get a global view before you start is as pointless as some university courses...

A simple amp has many components, which are kinda like cells, group a few together and you have tissue, a few more and you have organs....

At first it may be overwhelming, or much of the stuff may pass under the radar, for you to revisit later...

There are power supply basics... rectifying arrangements, filters to reduce ripple.... regulators etc... split and single supplies etc...

the signal itself, may be put through low, highpass or notch filters on its way into, or out of the amplification stages... etc...

There are many gain and feedback arrangements etc...

I would say, skipping education, the most reasonable way to get where you are aiming is not, by trying to build the big brotha amp first, not to mention speakers, where without much theory, you are better off building someone else's design or just buying some...

My advice is start with smaller projects you can pirate for parts later and learn through doing those... there are just so many things you could do on the way...

I would start with a cmoy headphone amp.... work up to a gainclone, a nice simple preamp or 5 and by that time you are going to start building up some preferences and knowledge...

Ironicaly without education you can only become a designer, by being a builder first...

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.