Good PSU for a 6.1 LM4780 chipamp

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi guys,

I'm going to build a 6.1 amplifier from the LM4780 boards that Veteran has listed on the for sale section. Each of the 6 normal channels will use half of a LM4780 (60W) and one of the boards will be used for a sub (120W).

In terms of a power supply, I was thinking of either 2 or 3 smaller transformers rather than 1 gigantic one.

Other than that, I'm not sure what a decent supply would be. Anyone built anything similar and want to share their ideas? I'm open for anything as I haven't bought any of the PSU components yet.

Thanks.

Hi

I've got some of them to and i want to go for 5.1.
I've built a test amp on a piece of wood so far.

4Ohm or 8Ohm Speakers?

I'm not going to use a LM4780 for my .1 Channel. I'm loocking for a second hand PA-Amp instead.
The longer I think about paralleled LM4780 the more I dislike it.
One LM4780 has only about 150% of the heat transfere area of a LM3886. And If u got to isolate it from the heatsink, u wont find i fitting kapton or mica isolation pad. And silcone sucks.

And a subwoofer will need a good damping factor. A paralleled Chip will need resistors on the output -> not good...

I whould use one single 600-800VA Toroid and one rectifyer per board.
18V for a 4Ohm load or 24V for 8Ohm.
And if u use one board for ur sub, I'd spend it another transformer, about 200VA.

Any Idea for a decent case?

Greetings,
Stephan

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.