Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Chip Amps

Chip Amps Amplifiers based on integrated circuits

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 9th March 2007, 12:12 AM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default 100W+ amp needed desperatly!

Ok i've tried to build a tda7294 based amp using 2 different pcb's and all i got is to burn 3 of these IC's. I need a 100W amp which uses a 60+60V PSU and FAST! Anyone have schematic/pcb for this?

PD: I can't use stk amps cause i can't get them here!
Old 9th March 2007, 12:23 AM   #2
diyAudio Member

The maximum voltage for tda7294 is +-50V maybe that why they burn up?
Old 9th March 2007, 12:49 AM   #3
diyAudio Member

oops! for some reason i was sure mas voltage for it was 70v!! i don't know why i thought that? now i feel really stupid. Ok still, is there any amp which can stand 70 + 70v or so?
Old 9th March 2007, 01:03 AM   #4
lukio is offline lukio  Indonesia
diyAudio Member

Hi Hernanstafe,,

You probably should find high rail voltage amp in solid state main thread for that kind of amp you looking for. I never heard chip amp that can withstand rail voltage that high..

cheers,,

lukio.
Old 9th March 2007, 01:04 AM   #5
Elkaid is offline Elkaid  Canada
diyAudio Member

Send a message via MSN to Elkaid
Quote:
Ok i've tried to build a tda7294 based amp using 2 different pcb's and all i got is to burn 3 of these IC's. I need a 100W amp which uses a 60+60V PSU
In fact, the TDA7294 is +/-50V when no signal is applied. It's +/-40V Max when signal is applied.

Last time I played with TDA7294, I had to unwind my 30+30V toroidal transformer because once rectified/filtered, the supply was too high and the chips were blowing up.

TDA7294 has a little brother with slightly higher specifications. The TDA7293 can go up to +/-50V with signal applied.
According to the datasheet, you'll get 100W for a 8ohm load with a 10%THD. I would go for 80 Watts instead in order to keep THD value at an acceptable level.

If you absolutely need 100W+, maybe you should consider for bridged/parallel LM3886 amplifier. National semiconductor has a whitepaper describing it.
AN192

However, even the amplifiers described in the application note cannot withstand +/-60V
Old 9th March 2007, 01:05 AM   #6
diyAudio Member

well the stk4241 does for example it can handle up to 80V actually, but it's stereo and i need a mono one, plus it's very very expensive
Old 9th March 2007, 01:23 AM   #7
Minion is offline Minion  Canada
diyAudio Member

Why Not just drop the +/-60v Idea and Build PSU of more reasonable Voltages to run a Chip amp?? Or maybe you can Mod your PSU to put out lower Voltages....

If you don"t want to drop the +/-60v idea then you will most likely have to drop the Chip amp Idea and go for a Discrete Solid state amp useing BJT"s or Mosfets which should allow for a +/-60v PSU.....

It is sad But True.....

Old 9th March 2007, 01:29 AM   #8
diyAudio Member

well i'm trying to find a solid state amp, i seriously don't care about the amp type (chip, solid state, etc) i just want it to work properly. The PSU is made using a 110V transformer, with a "fake" ground rectifier to have about 70 +70v...i wonder if i can like downgrade the voltage to 50+50? i can think of resistors but they'll be HUGE! I don't have any other transformers to do a better psu around, so i have to fix the problem with that one
Old 9th March 2007, 07:16 AM   #9
diyAudio Member

Send a message via MSN to stahlight
Default APEX PA04?

Sir,

May I suggest a... monster

http://eportal.apexmicrotech.com/mai..._amps/pa04.asp

The Apex Microtechnology PA04. It's a hybrid chip, and it packs a punch. Audio up to 400W RMS. Also check out their other amplifiers.

I have used them before, excellent amplifiers. A word of warning: they are EXPENSIVE!

Hope this can help you!
Old 17th August 2007, 05:56 PM   #10
NUKE89 is offline NUKE89  Greece
diyAudio Member

Where can we buy those hybrid ics you say from internet?I cant find them here in greece.

And how much do they cost?

Hide this!Advertise here!