2 stars per channel, or per amp?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I'm building a 6 channel LM3875 amp

I can think of 3 alternatives for grounding. Which one is best?

1. A signal ground star per chip, and a power ground star per chip.
They're tied together at the chip.
All 6 combined grounds go to a star at the power connector.

2. A signal ground star per chip, and a power ground star per chip.
all of the signal ground stars go to a main signal ground star
all of the power ground stars go to a main power ground star
they join at the power connector.

3. One signal ground star, and one power ground star for the whole amplifier.
All of the signal grounds go to one big star
all of the power grounds go to another big star.
the two stars connect at the power connector.

-Nick

Hi
I assume you are powering all the channels from one power source. If so my normal approach is a star ground per channel and a signal ground per channel. All channel grounds meet at a star and all signal grounds meet at a star. All connect at the power supply centre tap or ground.
Don

the physical star was set up for avoid mess unbalanced passive signal input.
one supply for 6ch is a good idea.this way is simple.
all of the signal grounds go to one big star
all of the power grounds go to another big star.
the power star connect at the power connector.the signal star connect a break resistor to the power connector.

Zang

Hi,
in a multi-channel power amp, all the star connected grounds do not form any hum loops, as long as no ancilliary equipment is connected to any of the inputs. It is star connected by definition.

If two or more inputs are plugged in that have a common ground in the source, anywhere, then that creates a loop = hum problem.

The solution, that I see and it works for two channel, is to create an exclusive floating audio ground for each channel and use a disconnecting network to connect each channel back to safety earth.
With this arrangement all source equipment connected to the inputs will create those same loops but every loop will have the disconnecting network separating each one.

AndrewT said:

The solution, that I see and it works for two channel, is to create an exclusive floating audio ground for each channel and use a disconnecting network to connect each channel back to safety earth.
With this arrangement all source equipment connected to the inputs will create those same loops but every loop will have the disconnecting network separating each one.

Can you draw the details?thank you advance.

Zang

Ex-Moderator
Joined 2005
AndrewT said:
If two or more inputs are plugged in that have a common ground in the source, anywhere, then that creates a loop = hum problem.

That's one reason why most prefer a dual mono configuration versus an integrated stereo configuration. A differential input (like the one I used on my instrumentation configuration) will also allow you to "remotely" sense the signal ground and will not form a ground loop, regardless of the number of channels used with a single supply.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.