Phono Preamp problems

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Here are the symptoms: Low volume (although tolerable)
Very little bass unless I boost the sub much higher than with CD or PC
Inaudible but extreme rumble. Even mid woofers working very hard.

This is the equipment: Peter Daniel LM7480 PA100 with 50K pot at input.
Turn Table: Pioneer PL-S70
This Cartridgehttp://www.phonopreamps.com/tc750pp.html
This Preamp http://www.needledoctor.com/Audio-Technica-3482H-U-Cartridge?sc=2&category=910

The preamp and cart are new. The amp performs beautifully otherwise.

So how do I get a slight gain, bass boost and rumble filter? :D

Any help would be very much appreciated. I'm waiting for a "Still Sealed" copy of Victory at Sea (RCA Red Label) and I won't play it until these problems are resolved. (I hope) ;)

PS A new turn table is out of the question for the moment.

Ex-Moderator
Joined 2005
It sounds like your best bet would probably be to use active filtering with your turntable. Unless it's an issue with your turntable components. I know next to nothing about that equipment so hopefully someone else will provide more helpful information.

OK. Let me add this to the mix. I failed to mention that the rumble (inaudible pumping) was not noticed on the sub. I just found out that the stock cut off for the Bash 300 is 30 htz.

Is there a quicky way to cut off at that frequincy, or close to, comming out of the phono pre?

Are you sure your turntable, or cart, is set up right? I have been spinning vinyl for 30 years. While I have had temporary problems (usually ground-related stuff and mostly solved without knowing how and why), I have never had any rumble issues. I'm not even sure this is rumble. I have had similar problems (as similar as it can be without knowing what causes your problem) with what I think was an oscillating tube amp.

Something isn't right here.

Something isn't right here

Let's make that official! :D

I do know that I have the same provlem with a Pickering V-15 and that it only does it when tracking a record. So I doubt it's oscillation.

It's confusing that I can see all that subsonic rumble yet the Bass part of the music is very thin.

Wondering if I have a miss match between the pre and the chip amp.

Am waiting for reply from those I bought the preamp from but, I'm sure they will blame it on the other equipment.

Thanks phn!

Well I got a responce from the folks where I bought the Preamp and as I suspected they blamed the other equipment. They suggested that I cancel all the DSP functions. Funny, I couldn't find that button on my Chip Amp! :D Here's what I DID do however. I fed the turntable into the 'line in" on my soundcard. Then fed the output into the preamp. Now I had plenty of gain and nice bass! The rumble was still there but very reduced. (probably due to not having to crank the amp all the way up)

I actually got a taste of what analog is going to sound like on these great speakers and amp that I built. I heard imaging that I NEVER noticed on my old LPs! Of course the quality is limited to the sound card and there's a lot of computer noise in this set up. But it did tell me that the sound is there. I just have to get it out!

I'm pretty much convinced I got shafted on the phono preamp. Wish I could find another to prove it. These guys have been good about coumminicating, so maybe they'll swap out are let me sell it back to them.

Any thoughts appreciated.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.