lm3886 vs receiver amps

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Looking for some kind of comparison between using chip amps vs Pioneer or Yamaha receiver Mosfet amps. The receivers are 100+ watts per channel and have high capacitance power supplies.
Do amps such as the lm3886 based compete in any way to these other amps? If so, how? What do they do better or worse? Are they capable of keeping up with Home Theater demands?
Knowledgable input would be appreciated.
thanks

The LM3886 is only one component in the equation that results in a stereo system that can be compared to integrated receiver solutions. The LM3886 can be used in many different configuration, with many different selections for the parts around it, different pre-amp stages, different DACs supplying analog signals, etc. All this is built into a receiver so you simply cannot compare things so generally. You can built an amp (er receiver..) in which the power op-amp is an LM3886 and have the end result sound like a turd, but if good design practices are used a receiver built around the LM3886 can outperform some very expensive commercial products.

For example, I have found that my DIY audio system outperforms my previous NAD T770 receiver is regards to sound quality by far, but I would never say that my DIY audio system performs better because it has an LM3886 somewhere in the signal path.

Understood but, my comparison asks about the lm3886 compared to the mosfet's used in these receivers for power. If I am to forego my receiver I need the amp stage to 'keep up' with my requirements. If I use my HTPC with my X-Fi as a decoder and use the DACs on said card as a source, the chipamp solution isn't me looking for a way to cut costs but to integrate a complete solution with the benefits of lossless audio encoding, jitter reduction and access to all my recordings via j.river and Main/Music Lobby. btw, I will be using the Hawthorne Audio 15" coaxial full range that is 98 db efficient. I would hate to degrade my output with an amp solution that is less cost effective than a new Yamaha receiver with Burr Brown Dacs.
thanks

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.