tda2030a Heatsink

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I recently built 2 amps, one using a single tda2030a chip and another using 2 of those chips. I'd like to know if anyone can help me with the size of the heatsink since they heat up A WHOLE LOT when you use them at high volume and i wouldn't like it to blow up. I used the circuits presented in the IC's datasheet.
Thanks in advance guys!

use an aluminium enclosure and attach the amp to the enclosure using the heatsink nut ...ensure the back of IC touches enclosure..also add mica sheet between the IC and enclosure...I guess 2030A in not isolated so back must be at -vcc..this should provide adequqte cooling as well as save u the cost of additional heatsinks...

The datasheet gives recommendations on heatsinks suited to use - just buy one with a suitable degreeC/Watt.

It's a pretty low-powered amp, and worse disspation will come c. 1/3rd rated output*. I used to use a pair of LM1875 (25w/ch) on a single 4degC/W heatsink for years without problem.

If the amp is heating up badly without a load, then also check it isn't oscillating - good supply decoupling tight to the IC, a zobel on the speaker output etc....

haenisch said:
I'm using a small heatsink (about 1x2x3 inch) for two TDA2030 without any
problems (doesn't even get warm with medium level output) so I suggest
that you (double) check your circuit (and layout). The 2030 tend to oscillate.

Greetings Till

YEs HE is right check your circuit layout proper grounding is needed in case of 2030A else there is lot of oscillationa and ics becomes so hot.

IN general tda 2030a, tda2040a, tda 2050a tends to get hot easily and indeed they need a bulky heatsink

GUys dont compare them with other ic's these are different animals.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.