OPA4134 x TL074 - Sound Differences

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hello!

As everybody knows, the OPA4134 is a pretty expensive Opamp, and the TL074 is very cheap.

I was reading de datasheet of the TL074, and I found that it's slew rate is 13v/s, pretty good if you compare to a poor RC4558 that is 1.7v/s...

The Opa4134 have a slew rate of 20v/s...

Both are J-FET inputs too !

So, I'd like to ask you listeners, the diference between OPA4134 and TL074 is that big, or just a thing that you can barely perceive?

I'll not drive any low impedance with the opamps.

Best Regards ! ;)

Ex-Moderator
Joined 2005
When used in a buffer application I think the TL072 sounds more laid back, perhaps a tad too smooth. The OPA2134 sounds more precise and neutral. Both are good opamps for the price, and I prefer either of them over the NE5532. The difference between them certainly isn't staggering, especially when used at unity gain into a higher impedance load (>1kohm).

The OPAX134 are very reliable IC's... Drive a great heavy load, no problems with capacitance, no problems with oscilation, sounds nice... And it isn't all that expensive.

For the sound effects I'll go with NE5532 or LM837 I think, effects such reverb, echo... For the natural sound and everything that the all audio will pass trought, I'll use OPA4134, to avoid sound lack.

I'm designing a big board now, and it is so boring... :rolleyes:

Hey !! :D

What about RC4580 !????

I was reading at the forum, there's no much information about it, but I've read that the TI version of 4580 is a good sounding IC, in contrast with the poor sound of the JRC4580.

Is this true ?

RC4580 is a High current capable opamp, this is also good.

What about the sound of this thing? TI version of 4580, not NJM or JRC.

Many thanks !
;)

Hi Nando

---LM837 makes TSSSSSHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH---

An instability problem rather than noise ? I had one when using a LM837 in a Bainter notch filter. No other IC gave me such an instability.

The TL07x family is very handy in many applications. It is fast but has a low GBW. Douglas Self said it is very tolerant of the local power supply decoupling contrarily to more modern devices which need some care about it.

Try the AD-7xx series...

The Analog Devices AD711/712/713 are single, duals and quads that blow away the TLO7x opamps. They are quite affordable.

Also very good is TI's own upgrade for the TLO's, the TLE, Excalibur series of opamps. They are the TLE2071, 72 and 74. They are VERY reasonably priced.

All of these come in the DIP package.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.