Problem with small car amp

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
i have a 4 channel car amp (200w pmpo) which i want to use for a small home theater system. it was working fine, then two channels stopped working (Rear left and rear right). i replaced 2 caps that were a bit swollen, watched a movie to test it and all 4 channels were working. the next day there was a really loud buzz on one channel. i checked the dc voltage across the channels - front left and right had a dc voltage of abt 0.01v but rear left and right were at close to 5 volts!!! nothing seems blown in the amp, so my only guess is the amp chip is busted. can anyone confirm this and give me a solution???

From 5V output DC I wouldn't say the chip is busted. But without any information on what we're talking about... :cannotbe:

200Wpmpo is one point to look at, for example. It likely means 20Wrms per channel. As you post this in the chipamps category, this order of magnitude would be reasonable. Why don't you post a schematic, a parts list or a picture. Or all of em. ;)

Cheers.

its a sansui car amp - and it as about 20w rms. i have opened it up and there are two stereo amp chips. the one chip shows no dc on the output, the other shows about 5v, and that is the same chip that is giving me problems.

before i knew much about electronics, i had this amp in my room. i had a 12v transformer, diode rectifier and a 4700uF cap as my power supply, which pushed out about 17v dc (oops). thats why the caps in the amp were a little swollen (i think). now im just using an off-the-shelf 1A transformer which delivers just enough power. the wierd thing is it was working fine the first night i hooked it up, and the next day the channel was buzzing.

i don't have schematics for this amp, and the numbers on the chips have rubbed off, so thats a bit of a problem.

i checked the voltages of the pins on both chips - the only difference was the 5v on the output.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.