Full balanced current (transconductance) chip-amp - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Chip Amps

Chip Amps Amplifiers based on integrated circuits

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 6th February 2007, 05:50 PM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default Full balanced current (transconductance) chip-amp

I have got a new soudcard with a set of full balanced outputs. As I have wanted to try a transconductance amp for some time I was wondering if I go for it in balanced mode.

As I am thinking will be building a 4 ch amp, input transformers would be too expensive. Can anyone advice me on a good wyz to do it ors point me to some schematics?

Thanks in advance.
Old 6th February 2007, 06:39 PM   #2
BWRX is offline BWRX  United States
diyAudio Moderator Emeritus

I've got some LM3875 boards being made that can accept a balanced input. You can find the schematic here . I'll have about 20 extra boards, so if you're interested just let me know.
Old 6th February 2007, 11:14 PM   #3
diyAudio Member

BWRX, tahnks for the link and for the offer, I want to do this project P2P.

How about this design http://www.jensen-transformers.com/an/ingenaes.pdf ?

The idea also comes from an instrumentation amp.. if someone is willing to help me set the resistor values and the A1, A2, A4 Opamps (AD811?) I would give it a try and report how it goes.
Old 8th February 2007, 08:37 PM   #4
m8o is offline m8o  United States
diyAudio Member

swak, wondering if you use a Spice program, like LTSpice? I have some schematics.

I'm presently working on the designs and aquiring parts to tri-amp my front 3 Klipsch/JBL horn mish-mosh speakers using LM4780 chips as transconductance amps. I'm not sure if I'll turn my home computer on tonight, but if I do I'll take some screen caps of the schematics of the transconductance circuits I've been working on. If you use LTSpice, I can e-mail you the circuits.

edit: but the circuits are not balanced ins .... however, I guess I should do so as I purchased a BSS prosys ps-8810
( http://www.bss.co.uk/includes/produc...?product_id=32 )
to perform the 3 channel 3-way crossover functions I need (with some minor eq'ing), which is balanced in and out.

To prototype, I bought 4 assembled boards from National Semiconductor. I plan to modify the circuits (cut the copper and add resistors as needed) to make it operate as a transconductance amp.

Hide this!Advertise here!