lm4702

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
hallo members
i need some help.i have tried to buy some lm4702 but the distributor said to me i have to buy 20 pieces minimum.thats to much i contakt national they said buy at digi key so i tried
and digi key wants to have 11 euro for the chip 13 euro for the deal and 18 for transport.that are 42 euro for a chip! if you look
at the list a chip is maybe 7 euro.
where i can buy that goldpiece!

greetings rapunzelelch:bawling:

Several options:
You could always ask others if they have some spares....like Veteran.....or you could propose a group buy....or you could just buy a bunch and let everyone know that you have them for sale real fast.....add a couple of Euros per device for your time and mail them to others....that way you also have a few spares.....seems they would be best used as mono device anyway....who wants both channels in the same chip running on the same power supply?....not me! Have fun!

My opinion is that asking for free samples when you have no intention of doing any further business from them (except to ask for more free samples) is simply bad Karma. Would you want someone to do that to you?....that is the question you must ask yourself. Are we so cheap (and or broke) that this is the only way we can get these things and still feed our family?.....really, come on guys.....some people pay thousands of dollars for high end audio equipment and we cannot afford $50 in parts? I don't believe it!

The only time I ask for free samples is when I might want to use that chip in a product that I will be selling....now, the project may go nowhere or it might....but I do have that intention.

Many have accused the DIYers of being cheap-*** tightwads....does this behavior prove otherwise?

Maybe you guys are all on welfare and have 10 children to feed....but, if you did...you would not have time for this nonesense...he he.

Ric Schultz said:
My opinion is that asking for free samples when you have no intention of doing any further business from them (except to ask for more free samples) is simply bad Karma. Would you want someone to do that to you?....that is the question you must ask yourself. Are we so cheap (and or broke) that this is the only way we can get these things and still feed our family?.....really, come on guys.....some people pay thousands of dollars for high end audio equipment and we cannot afford $50 in parts? I don't believe it!

The only time I ask for free samples is when I might want to use that chip in a product that I will be selling....now, the project may go nowhere or it might....but I do have that intention.

Many have accused the DIYers of being cheap-*** tightwads....does this behavior prove otherwise?

Maybe you guys are all on welfare and have 10 children to feed....but, if you did...you would not have time for this nonesense...he he.
its not like you really get the samples for free.
i mean it doesnt cost more then $5 to send 10 chips in the mail. so i think personally $20 is paying for them. i dont know man i think you might take this whole samples thing a little too extreme.
i mean every amp i make i'd be willing to sell but dont you think if your gonna profit off the free sample thats more on the tightwad side??? Besides i really dont think National has a problem with it cause when i get the package it says HOBBY on it nice a big. So go get some samples buddy. there is less karma in getting for hobby then for re-sale.

;)

Dxvideo said:
I plan to order some 4702 samples from National... But i dont know if they charge something for the free samples???
Last three weeks i had 2 LM3886, 2 LM4780 and this week i purchased 4 LM3886 plus 3 LM4562 and they sent them already... Do you say; they will send me a bill for that?

if you paid for the shipping you dont have any other bills coming. i think they charge a little extra for shipping to cover the chips cost. great deal still.

When I said selling, I meant that I would be buying many more of these devices in quantity....not selling the samples.....boy, you really want to justify your ripping them off....You think paying $20 including shipping for $70 worth of parts is cool? Someone had to process the order, find the parts, put them in a box and do a shipping label.....you want to do that for people and not make any money?....is that how you run your business? Digikey has all these devices in stock and when you buy from them both National and Digikey make money.....this is how it should be. National cannot make money selling ones and twos at wholesale direct...no way.

I quote the National Sample page "National provides this on-line sample service to help qualified design engineers accelerate their new product design. We reserve the right to limit the distribution of samples for non-qualified enterprises." So you think....building your own amp for your own use is a "qualified enterprise"? Did you read this paragraph? Or were you so excited that you could get something for next to nothing that you passed it by?

There is a lyric in a Dave Mason song....."Shouldn't have taken more than you gave....or we wouldn't be in this mess today"......All interactions should be a win-win. We need to give as much, if not more than we take. What are you giving National Semi?......a lie?....yes, that's for sure.

i dont know why you insist its ripping them off. National is well aware that i get samples for "HOBBY". the only reason i can think of why you would take it so personal is maybe National decided your not qualified and cut you off from getting samples. Maybe you lied to them, i didnt. I mean that paragraph you quoted from National is the exact reason why i ask for samples. DESIGN. i mean thats what DIY is all about right? anyways, it seems to me that your the only one claiming that the DIY community is cheap or "tightwad". then again i would expect that from anyone to hate on the DIY community for building high end audio gear and not getting ripped off by some name behind the gear. people are haters like that. just cuz some guy got ripped off doesnt mean im gonna get ripped off. and thats my theory, you have yours, my point is national know why i ask for samples, i didnt have to lie to them. why do i ask for samples... design.

Ex-Moderator
Joined 2005
To play devil's advocate you both have your points. National has the right to give or deny you samples, simple as that. On the other side of the coin, they are willing to provide this service in hopes that their chip will be used in larger quantities. DIYers have taken advantage of this in the past, thus they are now charging shipping instead of giving them to you scot free. I'm not for one side or the other but I don't mind getting samples at the cost of shipping if the manufacturer is willing to accomodate it. Having said that, don't abuse this or they will revoke "free" samples all together. If you build an amp with their chip samples and like it, buy some at normal cost for your next amps.

P.S. Ric - I asked some serious questions about your amp over in the UcD400 thread in the class d forum.

Your really reaching here.....National did not cut me off....I am a designer and when I sample it is for possible design in a production piece....not for DIY.

If indeed National has added the shipping cost because of many abusing the policy....it makes sense.

Basically....you need to look in your heart and see what it is you are doing.....if you are acting selfishly then it is so. Any, every and ALL INTERACTIONS with anyone, animal, plant....or thing....including the very earth that sustains us (Just look what we have done to the environment with our selfish make money now attitudes...global warming, etc.) should be done with Love.

Some people here are indeed tightwads....others are seriously giving.....you all know who you are. I am not here to judge you.....for you create your own reality and make your own destiny.......free will zone here.

I make products and sell them direct wholesale so the customer gets the most for the money.....I like no middleman. I think it is a serious win-win. Does not mean that someone could not copy what I do and do it for less (one off....for a whole lot of time and effort). If you cannot afford my products and you want that kind of performance and you love to make stuff....it makes sense. So I am not anti DIY......in fact, that is exactly what I am....DIY. I build everything myself. However, saving a penny (or even $50) is not my idea of a good time......especially if it is not a WIN-WIN.

End of sermon.....now please open your Electronic Bibles to page 41 and we will end with singing......"The Lord Blesses me with Abundance and I freely give and freely receive....letting it flow"......

Now please put some money in the coffers because I need to buy some expensive heatsinks.....he he.

Ex-Moderator
Joined 2005
Ric Schultz said:
If indeed National has added the shipping cost because of many abusing the policy....it makes sense.
Ric, this is indeed why some manufacturers are now charging for shipping. If you actually have a legit business and a legit reason for samples they will normally waive the shipping fee.

Ric Schultz said:
Basically....you need to look in your heart and see what it is you are doing.....if you are acting selfishly then it is so. Any, every and ALL INTERACTIONS with anyone, animal, plant....or thing....including the very earth that sustains us (Just look what we have done to the environment with our selfish make money now attitudes...global warming, etc.) should be done with Love.
That is a very all-encompassing statement but a very holistic one. I agree with it on such a scale, but trying to get free samples is part of the DIY nature. The whole situation is similar to the MP3/recording industry fiasco.

Ric Schultz said:
Some people here are indeed tightwads....others are seriously giving.....you all know who you are. I am not here to judge you.....for you create your own reality and make your own destiny.......free will zone here.
Tightwads of the DIY world unite! JK. A lot of us are all about being generous to fellow DIYers. Some of us will take anything we can get. That's the beauty of this stuff. It's nice to think that everyone has a good conscience and will follow through with their intentions but we're all human, and you have to take everything with a grain of salt and a healthy dose of skepticism.

well i dont have money like you sir, so if i can get a sample i'll take it. national knows i do this for hobby, and thats probably why they over charge on shipping. its not like im getting over on them or anyone for that matter. me using their samples only helps promote their product and im sure thats why they dont mind sending them.
anyways im over the arguing. i respect your point, but i'll take a sample any day. sorry if that is ruining the envirement or economy. ha :D but that is what im doing "sampling".
and i do it in love. i love making stuff. :)

peace

I am sure you both have lots more money than me. Probably a hundred times, I am not kidding....you have no idea.

"Take anything we can get"
"I'll take a sample anyday"
"Tightwads of the DIY world unite"

Really, you've summed it up beautifully.....basically, give me, give me, give me. Could not have said it better. Please, look closely and lovingly in the mirror....you will find beauty there.....prosperity also....to share with everyone.

Money is one of the main wounds in people....the others being sex and love....yes, sex and love are very different.

Since it is now Sunday.....a "Praise Life, Love, Yourself, Everyone and Everything" is in order.....yes, and don't forget your favorite football team.....win or lose.

Hmmm...
I dont believe its unfair to get free samples from National or any other factory..
First; i am a free tester for them. Yes i do the amps for my own enjoy but i always report the results when i made a new one. So other persons willing to make a new amp like me. And its a kind of commercial for factory.
Second; its nothing for the factory. The chips cost a few cents for them and for shipping costs i dont worry because they have great aggrements with the cargo companies so it also costs few cents for the factory.
Third; i dont want to get a free amplifier. Just i dont trust all the suppliers. Some of chips are fake. I faced a lot of forgery in past. And the most important thing is when a chip is fake; you must trow the PCB, and the other components on PCB away, generally! Because a fake chip causes unpredictable results like blowing!
Fourth; i cannot get hi quality components in Turkey. So i have to purchase them from an on-line store. But their response time is very long. Then i can have any component not less than 3 weeks. But when i purchase from National (or any other factory) they send me in two or three days! Thats great.
These my four strong arguments for get free samples from factory sites.
And also i have two suggestion;
- Intel and AMD must have free sample services.
- National must accept the low volume orders.

Any objection?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.