scored FC's!!!

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
first off since i've moved here to burbank, ca 9 months ago i got into the diy stuff. and let me tell you this is probably the best freakin city to diy!!!!

today i hit up my local WIMA distributer TAW who also carry panasonic FC's and HFQ's and ordered 6 50v 100uf fc's and they gave em to me as samples. sweet!:devilr:

so anyways back to burbank, so right next door to TAW is Electronic City which is a sweet store. but those of you who havent yet heard of the mecca of electronic stores "Apex Electronics" its insane. i've spent 5hrs there a couple times, no lies. its worth a 12hr flight to visit this place. it is our mecca. and so i've been told by an employee that apex jr is his brothers place.
but anyways i have never spent more then $20 there with my arms full! the other day picked an ILP torodial for 10$!!! bad *** freakin place. plus there is fry's but **** em. who's with me on that? customer service is horrible and the lines aint worth it for a freakin diode, or opamp. anyways if you need wima of fc's taw has a web site. they're cool people.

not to brag but i gotta tell someone who might appreciate it.:D
peace

Aki-harbora (sorry for butchering the spelling) in Japan is incredible..

Walk down the street and pick up parts to build ANYTHING.

PC, DVD player, AMP, car CPU... You name it...

It was like a dream to me... Ashame I couldn't afford anything because the exchange rate was so bad at the time...

Yes, Akihabara is great, now when I got some projects going I go there several times every month. It took awhile to find all the good places, as a tourist on a brief visit it is a lot to take in, and most of the small shops (some just 2-3 sq.meters) can be hard to find even with maps and directions, since the layout of buildings and stores are so chaotic. I should put up some info in english about good places for audio and diy, and how to find them. However, some parts are very elusive despite the abundance of shops - one thing I have yet to find is a place specializing in toroidal transformators, this has become my search for the holy grail here...it seems with the 50+ shops I have been too there would have been some toroids on display, but no luck so far. Perhaps the diehard audio guys here wind them themselves. As far as the price-level goes, the cheap stuff is cheap but quality or exotic parts still command a price. I can't put the general price-level in reference to other countries as I picked up this hobby after moving to Japan, but I do seem to be spending a lot on some fairly basic things like cable, connectors and materials for enclosures. Even old used stuff is expensive if it was ever considered to be good quality, this even goes for 20 year old caps which may or may not still have any life left within them.

Anyways, there are so many things to see and find there, so you can surely spend the better part of a day there!

Canare cable is made (and fairly enexpensive) there and works GREAT for most DIY stuff.

I now have order it from Markertek at 2 -3 times the price now that I'm back in the states..

I used to buy the 4 conductor mic cable by the roll there.. ~100 meters.. :D

As for toroids, your right all I EVER saw there was EI cores..

I'll see if I can find some canare cable there next time I go, do you remember how much you paid for it? I will build a mains power-cable for my current GC-project, so I am looking for some high-quality shielded stuff. I was able to find some cat6 reasonably priced before, which I used to build speaker cables, but it seems that particular source is all dried up now. Also, despite a lot of effort I have not been able to find any with FEP (teflon) insulation, just the plain PVC variety. What is most disturbing to me though is the price of shrink tubing and the mesh-tubing I bought to make my braided cables look more acceptable (they are rather big) in the living-room, just a few meters of that cost me several thousand yen, something like 20USD just to dress up 3 meters of cable. Ouch. Is it expensive in the US as well?

I have tried to find substitutes, even bought some shoelaces in the 100-yen shod (dollarstore) which I can use for interconnects, but obviously not for the lengths of a speaker cable.

These 2 are what I used for interconnects and internal wiring...

2 conductor for short runs:

http://www.markertek.com/Product.as...g=Canare+Corporation+of+America&search=0&off=

4 conductor for longer runs:

http://www.markertek.com/Product.as...g=Canare+Corporation+of+America&search=0&off=

And I bought this speaker cable to try and was really suprised by it.. For the money it is a steal... I got Grey and it is not bad looking either..

But alas, my current project is a 3 way active speaker with servo woofer section so my requirement for cable has deminished greatly.

That 2-conductor microphone cable looks really interesting, I will have to do some experiments with that one.

For my GC I will use some silver wire for internals, but it is really compact so we are talking inches here...hopefully I can get it going this weekend. It is my first GC so I've been going slowly. Well actually, last night I put together an LM380 based amp, just for soldering-practice, and it works well now, although it is decidedly lo-fi.

Steve at Apex.jr is a one man shop.. He runs it himself and has SEVERAL warehouses so he can't man them all at once that is why he is not "open to the public".

But if you call him and ask to stroll his warehouses I'm sure he would oblige TIME PERMITTING. He HAS to be running with his hair on fire because he gets the most complicated orders out same day with 100% accuracy. He is absolutely amazing and he is always in a good mood to boot!

Ok, so not to hijack the thread....

We know APEX in Burbank..
Apex.jr in wherever...

Does this forum have a list of cool shops and resources available by geographic area?

In Dallas I had a few metal shops that made me cool chassis and a plating shop that did my anodizing but didn't have a lead on electronics.. A list would have been VERY helpful in a pinch and on the very RARE occasion that Steve didn't have just the right thing...

ya i havent yet tried Apex Jr but i plan on it soon. he seems to have some nice deals on torodials. at Apex you gotta dig through a bunch of el's to find a torodial.
As for dallas and electronics, if you live there and have some time to search the web im sure you put a nice list together for you and those in your area.

Joined 2004
Paid Member
I went through akihabara 2 years ago and couldn't find much at all ... you guys have to share some of these treasure maps with the rest of us. All I was able to find was 1 little place which had full range drivers (fostex), but they were about the same price as Solen in Quebec after the exchange and another little shop which had Blackgates, but very very limited selection and the prices again, were about the same as Parts Connexion ...

I've heard that the place was a diy goldmine years ago, but has turned into clones of each other selling appliances, cell phones, cameras and computers ... although that 1 place which sold used AV gear did seem pretty neat - too bad EVERYTHING they sell is strictly japanese home market stuff - no foreign market stuff allowed.

Too bad for me ... Apex and ApexJr are both $20+ away (UPS Shipping) +2 weeks for customs and another $20+ brokerage fees and tax/duty from here

if your ever in california just be sure to stop by apex. the web site gives no justice. ordering online wouldnt be the same, with fee's and all. the best part about it is you can seriously walk out of there with like 20 various caps, couple hundred resisters, a transformer, and if you can find it an empty chassis for $20 or less.:D

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.