MyRef Rev C or Amp 5? - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Chip Amps

Chip Amps Amplifiers based on integrated circuits

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 30th January 2007, 06:06 PM   #1
preiter is offline preiter  United States
diyAudio Member

Default MyRef Rev C or Amp 5?

I'm looking to upgrade my basic chipamp.

I'd prefer a kit and I want to spend about $200-300 for the whole project.

The two I am looking at are the MyRef Rev C from Twisted Pear and the Amp 5 from 41 Hz.

I like the efficiency of the Class D and the low cooling requirements, but I'll go with whatever sounds better.

The amp will be used to drive a pair of Silver Iris drivers from Hawthorne audio.

Anyone heard both? Which sounds better? Any other kits I should be looking at in this price range?
Old 30th January 2007, 06:23 PM   #2
diyAudio Member

Default Rev C

I have not heard the AMP 5, but listened to several other Tripath amps and build a bunch based on the SI. The AMP 5 is a big improvement over the SI, but My_Ref is a bigger step up.
The Tripath amps do somethings very well, and some things not so good. An unnatural range around 5 - 8 Khz comes to mind. It can sound like cleaner highs, but is a hard coloration.
The My_Ref does everything pretty well, and somethings very good. The weakness is bass, suspect the current pump design is a little weak on power transfer into low impedances. But the bass is not bad, just a little light.
After having built four Tripath amps and several My_Refs I can honestly say that the LM3886 based amp is just better sounding overall. I have heard several non-SI tripath based amps and all share the same sound. None are natural in the lower treble.
Why not build both, and compare for yourself.

George
Old 30th January 2007, 06:28 PM   #3
diyAudio Member

I have had various chipamps, a straight sonic impact, a heavily modded one an amp 3 (upgraded) and a pair of my ref C.

I have to say i have enjoyed them all, though the chipamp stuff normally needs a decent active preamp to make them shine.

I do like the sound of the tripath based stuff but I find implementation changes stuff a lot, bass wise they cannot be beaten and they give great 3d soundstage however i think treble cann be fatiging and a little harsh.

Personally the My Ref are my fav amp since they give me 99% of the detail of T-amps whilst still have a lovely organic sound to them. I just listen to them more, bass is also better than standard chipamps.

Really its up to you though i think that both both 41.hz Jan and the twistedpear guys all need a huge pat on the back for giving us such amazing sounding gear for the money.

I am currently building a Amp 11 for use in a (hopefully) very high end guiatr amp.

Hide this!Advertise here!