First GC Complete, thanks CarlosT and PDaniel - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Chip Amps

Chip Amps Amplifiers based on integrated circuits

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 26th January 2007, 03:31 PM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default First GC Complete, thanks CarlosT and PDaniel

So thanks to some help from CarlosT and PDaniel I completed my first GC last night. It was a great feeling, I sat there listening for hours.

Actually I say complete but it really looks like frankstein at the moment. "Building" a case has turned out to be one of the most difficult parts.

As a note I ended up using computer processor heatsinks which had a copper base and temperature does not seem to be an issue.

I do have some remaining questions:

(1) Can someone walk me through the process of taking some measurements that ensures a quality build? (i.e. voltages, dc offset)

(2) The heatsinks are simply "attached" with the thermal grease provided. Is this enough or is there some other method I should affix?

Oh yeah I almost forgot, I really enjoyed the sound, even just using an ipod as source. I was shocked by the lack of noise. Nothing at turn-on, nothing without music. nothing at turn-off. Just music went it was playing. Thanks again to all those people who help make this possible.

Pathmark
Old 29th January 2007, 02:08 AM   #2
CarlosT is offline CarlosT  United States
diyAudio Member

Rock on, dude

Yeah...the case is a lotta work...the most work for me, too.

The chip should be secured with a clip or bolt and nut lightly tightened to make sure decent heat transfer happens.

I'm assuming that you're using the LM3875TF which has an insulated tab if you're using Peter's kit. This simplifies things for mounting since you don't have to worry about electrically insulating the chip from the heatsink.
Old 29th January 2007, 05:17 AM   #3
Nordic is offline Nordic  South Africa
diyAudio Member

Use DC voltmeter on output... (short input - turn vol control to 0 if you have one)... typical offsets up to 30mv, reasonable below 100mv, but suspicious
Old 29th January 2007, 02:35 PM   #4
CarlosT is offline CarlosT  United States
diyAudio Member

For my combined channel mono IGC, I measured DC volts right at the output while playing music fairly loud...consistently got values jumping around 5 to 20 mV. Is that good?

Hide this!Advertise here!