how to swich toroidal to mains, HELP

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
:xeye: Hi, I finally made my gainclone kit from audiosector, then I got last week the toroidal transformer from Farnell, and I thought that it would have 2 connections to mains.
It may sound very easy for you so I better ask before trying.

The toroidal has 4 primaries: blue, violet, grey and brown.
I'm not quite shore how to connect them to mains terminal, so if any body could give me a hand, I'll really apreciate much your help.

I live in spain, so it would be a continental eusropean plug 220 V
many thanks in advance

JUANITO;)

Hey, you need to tie the end of one primary to the start of the next. The transformer you bought work in bothe europe and america, in america they use the primarys in parallel, in europe we use them in series.

I didnt know farnell we in Spain, will be useful when i move to Madrid later in the year.

Let me know if you need any more help,

Phil

juanito said:
The toroidal has 4 primaries: blue, violet, grey and brown.
I'm not quite shore how to connect them to mains terminal, so if any body could give me a hand, I'll really apreciate much your help.

I live in spain, so it would be a continental eusropean plug 220 V
many thanks in advance

JUANITO;) [/B]

Conveniently, you can connect Grey to Violet (and nothing else!) and the Brown and Blue become the usual EU Line and Neutral.

Look on the label at the side of the transformer and you will see that "direction" of the windings are indicated.

Each winding is a nominal 120V, so series for 220/240, parallel for 110/120 mains.

Boy this is getting to be my niche...now an international query :D

This sounds like a typical Avel Lindberg tranny color scheme. You're in Spain where the rain falls mainly on the plain, you have 220V household power and this is an Avel Lindberg tranny. If these three things are true then...

Connections are:

AC POWER IN TO TRANNY (PRIMARIES)

Blue to AC Hot (Black Wire?)

Violet and Gray Together (Join and Tape) - The is the tie between the two primary coils

Brown to AC Neutral (White Wire?)

AC OUT FROM TRANNY TO RECTIFIER (SECONDARIES)

Black and Red Separately to each AC1 hole...doesn't matter which AC1 hole

Orange and Yellow Separately to each AC2 hole...doesn't matter which AC2 hole

Avel Lindberg Layouts

ps_configurations.jpg

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.