Just a quick power supply capacitance question

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Nuuk said:

I don't think that I did say that!

I'm near enough ready to give up. I do have a feeling, because you know I am a newbie, that I cannot possibly be right about this.

If someone has the time, please do draw me a schematic of how this second diagram is actually supposed to be.

Because to me, it's showing two regulated supplies off a single transformer, each one powering a single channel. I can't see what else it could possibly be showing. The first diagram is showing a single regulated supply for both channels, the second diagram shows two 'regulator circuits', one per amp channel, single transformer.

I've tried drawing it as a schematic as I see it, two regulated supplies on a single transformer, and you've pretty much just laughed and taken the ****.

I've built all three of these supplies myself , they do work and I don't understand the confusion.
The first one is one transformer dual secondarys, pair of rectifiers with a single dual reg circuit set to output +/- and gnd running two amps.
The second one is one transformer dual secondarys , pair of rectifiers with a PAIR of dual reg circuits set to output +/- and gnd so now each amp has its own dual reg run from the one transformer and dual rectifiers

Yes! Right! I might be getting somewhere. Thank you.

I have built it as (as far as I can tell)

The second one is one transformer dual secondarys , pair of rectifiers with a PAIR of dual reg circuits set to output +/- and gnd so now each amp has its own dual reg run from the one transformer and dual rectifiers

Could I ask you (when you have some free time) to draw how you have wired this up?

EDIT: I am rubbish at trying to describe things, but if you can understand... have you basically got "the second regulated supply" sort of... in parallel to the first? From each "DC" output of the bridge you're taking two wires, eight wires in total, four wires per regulated supply?

I've tried drawing it as a schematic as I see it, two regulated supplies on a single transformer, and you've pretty much just laughed and taken the ****.

Sorry if this is how you feel but you've asked an almost endless stream of fairly pointless questions. The thing is to have a break and think about what has been said in answer to what you asked, not to keep on repeating the question ad nauseum. Electronics can be a frustrating business -- I should know, I've struggled with most things I've attempted in it. Quite often the best idea is to sleep on the problem...

I'm near enough ready to give up. I do have a feeling, because you know I am a newbie, that I cannot possibly be right about this.

This is not about being right or wrong! It is about you understanding some of the basics, like split rail supplies.

Do you know how long it takes to draw these circuits? Asking somebody to draw out a full circuit for all the options is just taking the **** - you that is, not me!

If you start by trying to understand the simplest of those three options, understanding the other two should be easy.

The second circuit just repeats the regulator part of the circuit (after the rectifier bridges, as I stated clearly before) so that each channel has its own split rail supply.

Trust me, these diagrams are correct. If you don't understand them then it is because you don't understand them, not because I have made a mistake. So calm down, stop being so adversorial, and take your time to understand how they work because they do, as somebody else has taken the trouble to tell you too!

I don't take advantage of newbies. The whole reason for Decibel Dungeon is to help newbies. But you don't help yourself with the attitude that you have displayed throughout this thread!

Ropie said:

Sorry if this is how you feel but you've asked an almost endless stream of fairly pointless questions. The thing is to have a break and think about what has been said in answer to what you asked, not to keep on repeating the question ad nauseum. Electronics can be a frustrating business -- I should know, I've struggled with most things I've attempted in it. Quite often the best idea is to sleep on the probem...

Yes this one has proven to be hard Ropie:bawling:

Ropie said:

Sorry if this is how you feel but you've asked an almost endless stream of fairly pointless questions. The thing is to have a break and think about what has been said in answer to what you asked, not to keep on repeating the question ad nauseum.

I was just trying to get you to see what I am seeing. There appeared to be misunderstanding in what I was trying to achieve.

Electronics can be a frustrating business -- I should know, I've struggled with most things I've attempted in it.

Yes, yes it is.

If "t." can see this [rather crude looking] picture, is this how you've got it wired... or have I misunderstood you again now? :(

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

(with filter caps before the regulators and after the BR's, i have left these out)

Assuming that the blue line from the bridge is the DC "-" tab, and the red the DC "+" tab, and the lines after the regulator, red = +ve, blue = -ve and green = 0v?

markiemrboo said:

I was just trying to get you to see what I am seeing. There appeared to be misunderstanding in what I was trying to achieve.

Yes, yes it is.

If "t." can see this [rather crude looking] picture, is this how you've got it wired... or have I misunderstood you again now? :(

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

(with filter caps before the regulators and after the BR's, i have left these out)

Assuming that the blue line from the bridge is the DC "-" tab, and the red the DC "+" tab, and the lines after the regulator, red = +ve, blue = -ve and green = 0v?

Yes;) Now go and have some fun and let us know how it sounds:D

Nuuk said:

Eureka! That's it! :)

Hoorah! Something to agree on at last. :)

*passes you your preffered choice of alcoholic(?) beverage*

Ok, with this in mind... please try and bear with me! I'll try and go through it a step at a time until we can find out where I am getting it wrong / getting confused, if you will?

This is exactly how I currently have it wired, and it's the whole idea of 'paralleling' the second regulated supply off the first which is what is worrying me!

Is there a mistake in how I have converted my crude picture in to the equivilent schematic shown now:

Ropie said:

:drink: :drink:

I'm off to watch the snooker, in bed!

Good night Ropie. :)

t. said:

Yes;) Now go and have some fun and let us know how it sounds:D

It's already built like this as of about... a month ago :) I'm redoing it on better laid out boards (first attempts with me always suck a bit you see).

Thank you for replying. I fear we would have never got anywhere if it wasn't for your reply there!

Hopefully now we can track down where I am getting confused.

Nuuk said:
Providing you get the polarity correct, that is OK. ie postive voltage to the inputs of the regs.

Ok. It is possibly just the simulator being a bit wrong then (apparently not unheard of from what I read!)? When I simulate it, the bottom one doesn't work correctly as the 0v line 'turns in to' the regulated -ve voltage?

The section I have circled in red is where I am getting confused. This is actually OK "in the real world"?

So, I would be able to take a third regulator off this, in parallel, in the same fashion, but regulate to a slightly lower voltage for the preamp?

Now some of us have beds to go to (even if we are not lucky enough to have a TV there to watch the snooker). ;)

Ok :) Good night and thanks!

EDIT: would really help if I attached the new image. Duh!

This is what I have been trying to explain in the whole thread, but in words. Pictures obviously work far better for me... :angel:

markiemrboo said:

The section I have circled in red is where I am getting confused. This is actually OK "in the real world"?

Yes

So, I would be able to take a third regulator off this, in parallel, in the same fashion, but regulate to a slightly lower voltage for the preamp?

EDIT: would really help if I attached the new image. Duh! [/B]

Yes as long as the voltage drop isn't too high, if it is the regulators will get hot.
I'd personally prefer to use a separate transformer with lower voltage secondarys for the pre-amp

t. said:

Ah.

Yes as long as the voltage drop isn't too high, if it is the regulators will get hot.

True. It might be a bit too high of a drop really. It'd be about 18v to drop I think.

But, given that I have two supplies regulated down a bit already, would it not be possible to have the preamp regulator connected to the 0v and +ve outputs of each regulator instead? So.. one side of the preamp regulator from the output of one of the power amp regulators 0v and +ve, and the other side from the other power amp regulators 0v and +ve.

Perhaps I should draw a picture of what I mean here too? :)

It would only have to drop about 10v then, which is fine, but I might be being a tad simplistic about it, and it might not work like I think it would.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.