LM3886 buzzing on connection..

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi,
Yes, I searched and I read most of the posts before asking this question. I am unable to conclude based on the posts hence I am asking this.

I constructed my LM3886 amp (ESP schematic - project 19 http://sound.westhost.com/project19.htm ) and powered up to test. Speakers are silent.

I connected the RCA of my adaptor powered CD player and the amp started buzzing. I connected my cable TV STB audio RCA and no buzzing - audio is clear. I connected my computer's audio out and no buzzing - audio is clear here too.

One of the remaining tasks is the disconnecting network between central star ground and mains earth. These are NOT connected now. Apart from this followed "almost" all grounding rules mentioned in most of the posts here.

Will the connection of the "disconnecting network" solve this buzzing from CD player?

I am also planning to add a simple pre-amp ckt between RCA and Poweramp, will this help?

diarav said:
Hi Abid,
Hmm.. so it's time to change my CD player anyway.

No, the SIM is not a part of my circuit. Everything else is.

connect a pair of headphones to CD RCA output
... and listen

Do not use very high volume!
You may have to use some adapter
... I would try to put together some custom home made adapter for this.

PS. If you have some older HeadPhones, use them.
I wouldn't use my new €200.00 phones :)

abidr said:
Hmmmm!
righto even CDP may be faulty.
Sorry missed it.
:D

Might be.
We have to exclude that possibility.

I think you are probably more close to the true reason, abidr.
It has got something with ground connection to do.
I wonder what kind of buzzing or sound it is. Is it hum (100hz)?

Strange he would get this, as he has tried to pay attention to good star grounding.

But would not need much, to create a ground loop.
That is, when Chassis is in touch with 0V Ground in more than 1 place.
This is why we use plastic insulated RCA chassis jacks in amplifiers.

Again, Thanks for your replies.. but..

lineup said:

connect a pair of headphones to CD RCA output
... and listen

Actually the CD player is an old compact portable type VideoCD player. It has a headphone jack splitting into an RCA connection. Would you please clarify what you mean by the above..I did not quite get you.

abidr said:
Hmmmm!
righto even CDP may be faulty.
Sorry missed it.
:D
Hmm.. I dont think so. This plays without a hum on my TV (currently being used as an amp :) )

lineup said:

I wonder what kind of buzzing or sound it is. Is it hum (100hz)?
Not sure. Could be ..
lineup said:

But would not need much, to create a ground loop.
That is, when Chassis is in touch with 0V Ground in more than 1 place.
This is why we use plastic insulated RCA chassis jacks in amplifiers.
The RCA sockets are insulated from the chassis. Also the 0v is connected only at the central ground.

well
After this info, where everything seems pretty good, CDplayer + insulated RCA,
I am lost.
---------------------------------------------------------------

One thing you could do:
Try to reverse the signal and ground coming from CDplayer.
Connect signal to 0V-gnd in amplifier, and the cable shield to +input.

I have no more clue what could be trouble.
Hope you find the source to this strange issue.
If I were you, I should start checking my Chipamp.
Especially around the input pins.
Because there is where you attach your CDplayer.
And if it is dead quiet without CD connected,
then the trigger of this problem is via input rail .... somewhere there.
Check that you have connected, soldered all components correctly.

But frankly, if everything works nice with other sources ....
your amplifier should be perfectly alright.

lineup

Article and instructions, if anyone else wants to have a look:
http://sound.westhost.com/project19.htm
An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

Does turning on the CD player make any difference?

Playing around my LM3875 iPod powered speaker, I found a similar phenomenon. When I hooked up an iPod though a 1/8" stereo jack to RCA adapter cable, the amp would buzz slightly. As soon as the iPod was turned on, it would go away never to rear its ugly head again until I turned off the iPod.

If you play with electric guitars, you'll find the same thing. If you connect an instrument cable into an amp, it will buzz until an instrument is plugged in at the other end.

This could be due to EMI coupling of the lead...maybe picking up stray EMI in the air or in your case maybe due to a ground loop? If the CD player is plugged in, its neutral AC main may be causing a ground loop with the amp's neutral AC main? Remember that the AC neutral is tied to ground at your house breaker panel...that could make for a very long ground loop.

If this sounds ridiculous, excuse my ignorance. I'm not an audio engineer but I play one on TV :D

Thank you for your replies.

lineup said:

One thing you could do:
Try to reverse the signal and ground coming from CDplayer.
Connect signal to 0V-gnd in amplifier, and the cable shield to +input.

Sure, I'll try that .

CarlosT said:
Does turning on the CD player make any difference?
No, the buzz is there when the CDP is powered, and no difference except when the rca are disconnected.

I'll try connecting a battery powered walkman for further testing.

buzzing LM3886

Maybe there is a groundloop. Same ground on CD output,
same ground on powerground and interconnects via amplifier???
Be shure all the nessessary grounds are good connected. What happens if you listen with a headphone on your CD? No humm, or buzzz? So I think there must be a groundloop.???

I'd first suspect a ground loop. I think 99% of the noisy chip amp problems reported here are due to ground loops. It seems difficult to get exactly right. I thought I had my chip amp silent, but it still doesn't like certain preamps.

And here's the latest twist: I'm currently running a bi-amped set-up. I first switch on the electronic crossover, then the chip-amp driving the woofers and I have silence. Then I switch on the other amp driving the HF and the woofers buzz a little!

Re: buzzing LM3886

sigurd said:
Yes, it's difficult. Maybe the loudspeakers connectwires are antennas? Maybe there is something with earthing-things on the chassis of the amplifier? There is shure something with earthing.
Look in that way, I suggest.

I notice there is NOT any HF-noise filter capacitor in the input
of this ESP project amplifier.

In most cases may not be needed.
But we also know, that CD-players use digital oscilllators in DAC section.
At several MHz. To control the 44kHz datarate.
-----------------------

I would try with an 100pF - 470pF capacitor across R4 (22k) in input
If you can find a film cap is best, otherwise use a ceramic.
Alternatively, you may attach this capacitor between LM3976 +Input pin 10 and ground.

Howto.
1. Start with 470pF. This is a value often used.
2. If this improve things, try with 220pF
3. If still good, try 100pF.
4. If 100pF works, I would use this value for my amp input.

You can see such a capacitor in Project 72, LM1875 based amplifier.
In this amp 220pF + 2.2k resistor is used for RC input HF-filter
See C2 in diagram

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

Regards
lineup :cool: knows the benefit of some little HF-noise filtering

diarav said:
....One of the remaining tasks is the disconnecting network between central star ground and mains earth. These are NOT connected now. Apart from this followed "almost" all grounding rules mentioned in most of the posts here....

Wait a sec, the star "ground" is not actually grounded to earth? Me thinks a noob hath spotted the issue.

Max

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.