gainclone power supply

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
LM3886s can be bridged and parallelled. There is an app note from National (link on product page).

We are doing it with a balanced/symmetric model.

There are a lot of chip amp designs out there, many of which are not Gain Clones (meaning, not based on the simple datasheet amp). Halo's designs are an example of this.

Judging chip amps by any one design would be analogous to judging MJE devices based on a simgle amplifier topology.

Play play play!!! ;)

BrianDonegan said:
Student, keep your local bypass caps small, and your supply caps can go as big as you want. I use local 220uF very low ESR caps (Panasonic FM or other) and 2x10,000uF in the main supply.

Brian, you are correct in what you are saying. The local capacitor is purely for stability and provide a low impedance return path. There was some comments made regarding capacitors in Bob's power supply discussion only after I realising that I made some really stupid comment regarding ground return at the output devices.

Kind regards

Nico

BrianDonegan said:
LM3886s can be bridged and parallelled. There is an app note from National (link on product page).

We are doing it with a balanced/symmetric model.

There are a lot of chip amp designs out there, many of which are not Gain Clones (meaning, not based on the simple datasheet amp). Halo's designs are an example of this.

Judging chip amps by any one design would be analogous to judging MJE devices based on a simgle amplifier topology.

Play play play!!! ;)

You are of course right in what you are saying. It took several years before I accepted the fact that MOSFETs can be succesfully used in audio designs, I am now a supporter of both devices and have proven that both are equally acceptable and design systems using either. I have no more preferences for the devices, I know that I can use either to it fulles capabilities.

Now is the a good time to look at something different. I am a little trired of redesigning the wheel each time using only different number of spokes, it is still a wheel.

This will be an interrogation project and I intend to see when I put a gun to its head what exactly what I can get from the LM3886.

I am still curious where the name Gain Clone came from.

BrianDonegan said:
Copies of the original Gain Card circuit.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gainclone

Mmmmm....

read as much as I could, thanks. It would appear that the characteristics of the amplifier is based on two important (to the designer at least) small capacitors and highly regulated transformer and very short NFB path.

Okay so I try short NFB path, I have a 1 KVA transformer and I have 1000 uF caps. But maybe I should use surface mount, 0.1% tolerance I can fit all the components between two legs. Okay only joking :)

But maybe the is sense in this madness, with SMT I can really place the components very tightly. What is more it is cheap and very good. There are no legs which means less inductance, I can make the tracks short and fat.

Lets give it a go.

Ciao

:D thx for so much information.

altough i dont really understand most of it :D i want to contain your recommentations.

so this power supply layout is pretty nice for the gc.

@ nico ras: which component of the supply layout you suggested to substitute ?

@ weissi: thx, i red it some days ago in an other forum :)
i've planned to place the output part of the supply as close as possible to the power- input part of the gainclone circuit board. maybe 1-2 cm distance :D

@ BrianDonegan: 220µF on board caps at the gainclone circuit board ? not a little bit too small ?
i'll try 1000µF ones, like its documented at the construction manual i also got.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.