dual secondary transformers

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
ok, i may be an idiot

ok, i apologize for my ignorance. i do believe i have been misinterpreting just exactly what 18v+18V, 24v+24v, et cetera mean.
so correct me if i am wrong (still), but actually this (for instance) transformer:

http://www.partsexpress.com/pe/showdetl.cfm?&Partnumber=122-650

is exactly what i need for a power supply along the lines of carlos machado's snubberized psu?

35+35 is the "dual secondary" part of the product description.

This is too high for a LM3886.

35*1.414=49 volts while max supply voltage is 84 volts (+/- 42 VDC). It would most likely work and only let out the magic smoke very occasionally... it's just too high.

The next question is the impedance of the speakers you MIGHT be using.

You should start reading the data sheet.

http://www.national.com/pf/LM/LM3886.html

dual secondary trans, snubbers

Burnded fingers,
In a normal center tap 4 doides are used in the bridge +/-,-/+ and center "full wave".
In a dual secondary 2 bridges are used and the centertap is taken by connecting the + from the top bridge to the - of the bottom" full wave*2" the result is less ripple, I guess you could call it artificial dual phase;)

Snubbers have been around from the dawn of electronics, they help "snub out" unwanted frequency,s on the DC line, some frequency variations from the outputs collectors or emitters will make it onto the DC supply lines, snubbers RC networks help elliminate these. There primary use was in RF circuits to elliminate RF hash on the supply.

Re: dual secondary trans, snubbers

halo0925 said:
.......In a dual secondary 2 bridges are used and the centertap is taken by connecting the + from the top bridge to the - of the bottom" full wave*2" the result is less ripple.........

hash
absolutely wrong. The smoothing of both the centre tapped into single rectifier into series caps and dual secondary into dual rectifiers into dual single caps is exactly the same.
Some say the 0volt ground connection is quieter in the dual sec+DUAL rect version But I have not been able to measure any difference.
The main difference is the extra voltage lost through the extra rectifier and the extra cost.

And how did THAT WORD miss the dictionary? It always excludes my completely innocent use if it.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.