Yet another transformer question....

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I have a Plitron toroid transformer with a 117 VAC primary and dual 25 VAC secondaries. The transformer is rated at 300 VA.

Tonight I connected the transformer to power and made some quick measurements. My input measured 122 VAC and my secondaries measured 27.4 VAC each.

I would like to use this transformer with one of Peter Daniel's LM3875 kits and a pair of Energy C-3 speakers which I believe are 8 ohms. Eventually I may migrate to a single driver speaker setup.

My question is this: is my transformer suitable for use with this CG kit and these speakers.

Thanks in advance for answering my question.

David

Hi,

yes that transformer is fine. Remember you're measuring the transformer with no load, so with a 300VA transformer you probably have around a 7-10% regulation, hence your reading of 27.4. Your input measuring 122 (rather than 117) isn't a problem.

Anything over 35v (which is perfect for your 8ohm speakers by the way) will be dissipated as heat, so make sure you have a good heatsink(s)(read the LM3785 docs).

I don't know much about your speakers, but assuming they are 8 ohms and have no nasty characteristics, then your transformer and amp kit will cope just fine.

Hope this helps,
Andy

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.