Hybrid "SE Tube Amp Sound Style" Chip Amp idea - Page 3 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Chip Amps

Chip Amps Amplifiers based on integrated circuits

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 6th February 2003, 07:07 AM   #21
diyAudio Member

Default hopefully not

Quote:
Originally posted by Nielsio
Stupid question?
Your question is not stupid at all. Well...even if so, don't feel bad because there is at least one more person who wants do to a very similar thing as you would. You're not alone.
Since I built my first gainclone (several months back), I have wanted to build a tube preamp and to mate it with a solid state power amp, a gainclone. Not long ago, I was able to finish a gainclone with unity gain (Thanks, Kuei). Why unity gain? It's because I'm thinking to let the tube preamp do all the voltage amplification and power amp will be supplying simply power to the speakers.
These days, I'm looking for a tube preamp which is SIMPLE because I'm totally new to tubes. The one in your link looks pretty simple and could be my next project.
Old 6th February 2003, 12:26 PM   #22
Previously: Kuei Yang Wang

Default Re: hopefully not

Hi,

I thought it would be obvious that you can use ANY kind of preamp you like.

Woul I recommend the 6072A Preamp for use with a solid state Buffer? Probably not. It's sonic charater would be better complemented by a 300B SE Amp.

Hence my suggestion of the 5687 (or indeed 6H30) as Valve for the "preamp" stage (please DO NOT try to use the ECC88/6922 types). The 5687 has a powerfull, warm and pleasant tone.

The Arthur Loesch preamp is widely published on the net, including here:

http://joelist.free.fr/schematics/ph...%20Loetsch.gif

Click the image to open in full size.

other more or less similar options with 1/2 5687 per channel are here:

http://joelist.free.fr/schematics/5687pre.jpg

The Audio Note Japan M7 Line Stage also used the 5687 as shown here:

AN M-7 and M-100 Materials

BTW, the suggested non-zero output impedance is part and parcel of the suggeted "soundalike" Amplifier...

Sayonara
Old 6th February 2003, 02:44 PM   #23
argo is offline argo  Estonia
diyAudio Member

Default Re: Re: hopefully not

Quote:
Originally posted by Kuei Yang Wang
Hi,

.....(please DO NOT try to use the ECC88/6922 types)......

Sayonara

Why oh why? Because of the high Rp ? Or are there some other (sonical ???) reasons?
Can I find any use for the 6N1P-s I have laying around at all?

argo
Old 6th February 2003, 02:54 PM   #24
Previously: Kuei Yang Wang

Default Re: Re: Re: hopefully not

Hi,

Quote:

Why oh why? Because of the high Rp ? Or are there some other (sonical ???) reasons?
All ECC88/6922 variants I ever tired and the gear that i heard with them had a certain tonality that I dislike. They sound rather metallic and brash. Not bad, just not pleasant or very good.

The 5687 has a very different tone, as has the 6H30.

The 6H1P you mention has little to do with the ECC88/6922 Family BTW, both design/performance/sonic wise. Still, I'd not use that one either. I'm sure you can find decorative uses for the ones you have.

Sayonara
Old 7th February 2003, 07:41 AM   #25
argo is offline argo  Estonia
diyAudio Member

Default Re: Re: Re: Re: hopefully not

Quote:
Originally posted by Kuei Yang Wang

The 6H1P you mention has little to do with the ECC88/6922 Family BTW, both design/performance/sonic wise. Still, I'd not use that one either. I'm sure you can find decorative uses for the ones you have.

Sayonara

Perhaps like for ?

Hoo- hoo

Hide this!Advertise here!