LM3875 troubleshooting

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Greg Erskine said:

Can you post the schematic of the PSU you used?
regards
-take a look at attachment

Have you connected th 0V correctly?
-I think, I did, you cant miss much with GND.Ive connected all gnds to one point (star)
*what if GND wasnt working?Any way to check this?

Attachments

• scheme3.jpg
    scheme3.jpg
    40.6 KB · Views: 265
Does your mains have 3 wires or 2? If 3 how do you connect your earth?

You may want to add some caps at least to those rails.

If you build the minimalist amp, and went from lower voltage where it worked to higher supply without adjusting that biasing resistor, you may have biased the chip by more than it could handle...

You still did not say if you used 4 or 8 ohms.
for 4 ohms then max you can use is about 28V.

Joined 2002
Paid Member
Grandma´s_SUB said:
-take a look at attachment

Grandma´s_SUB,

The schematics look right to me. You used zener diode symbols but I assume you used normal diodes in your bridge. I've made GCs nearly identical to this schematic so I know it should work.

You need to double check you wiring and earthing. I think you need to post a couple of pictures.

;)

Nordic said:
Does your mains have 3 wires or 2?If 3 how do you connect your earth?

3: +V,-V,GND if this is what you mean.I didnt include earth in my test circut (actually I was, when I was solving humming problems, aka ground looping, but that has nothing to do with PSU voltage at output)

You still did not say if you used 4 or 8 ohms

I think it was 6Ohm (some old speaker)

I think you're doomed, dude...start over :D

This time with a proven design like Nuuk's or hell...even my junior effort. Gosh...I hope the Iranians are not approaching nuclear power the same way you did with your first amp :D ;)

The chip's only six bucks from Digikey...heck...I'll mail you one if you promise to wire it up right this time :D

You need to go back to Mistake # 1 which is that you grabbed a dubious unproven schematic to build a first amp. If you wanna fix the design, that's fine but then you need to do a lotta reading or combing through ancient threads here.

Here's my little amp schematic. You may need to tweak the resistor values to tone down the gain depending on your input level along with the C1 cap value but I know that at least this seemed to work for me for a mono amp.

Attachments

• techdiylm3875b.gif
    techdiylm3875b.gif
    7 KB · Views: 168
Stick some big capacity 8 ohm resistor instead of a speaker at the output and check for DC voltage...you know...the big 50W or higher resistors encapsulated in an aluminum heatsink from the factory. This might be cheaper than continuing to smoke nice speakers :D

Or buy yourself an Adcom amp and pick a different hobby... ;)

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.