Clipping vs Screwing Down Power Chips

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Very cool...

Are you talking about the black spring binder clips with flipout chromed wire handles? The width is perfect for the extrusion I got but...

My problem is that my heatsink is too tall and the clip doesn't reach for down enough...the No. 50 clip goes down about 5/8"...BUMMER.

Great idea though and the price is right :D

So I got some samples of the CLP212 from Aavid and they sure are cute...but they won't work...too short. I'm now waiting for some samples from Fischer.

The problem is that the heatsink is 1.5" tall and the LM3875 is only .7" tall from solder joint to mounting eye and you need to provide a little clearance between the pcb and the heatsink. This all conspires to make the CLP212 too short to reach the spot where the LM3875 lies. The clip really needs to be about 1" or the heatsink needs to be a little shorter.

Very cool!

On a TO-220 package the amount of pressure that can be put on the plastic package portion is much less than what can be put on the mounting tab...still all like you'd need a Lilliputian torque wrench. How many actually use a torque wrench?

The limit is 150n/sq. mm of pressure for the LM4780.

jackinnj said:
[B...and through those parts which don't get the silicone goo spread all over them. [/B]

Hey, you can overdo it :p , isn't that stuff poisonous by the way?

I recently built an AMP9 from 41hz, thanx to you guys I started to think a bit differently about placing a heatsink. To test it I'm using an L-shaped pice of aluminum clipped to the chip by two very powerful clips..:) (and offcourse a piece of silicone cloth between them..)
Here's a picture:

Attachments

• amp9 clip.jpg
    amp9 clip.jpg
    66 KB · Views: 149
I thought it was your neighbors to the south and west who liked the mayo and moules, of which we consumed beaucoup in Antwerp.

With apologies to Gene Shepherd this is what happens when you put your tongue where it doesn't belong. Shepherd, voice of WOR in the evening, a great ham radio nut and folklorist, author of the great American paen to the holiday season -- "Christmas Story" (also "In God We Trust, All Others Pay Cash")

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

The neighbors to the south and west (Belgium and UK) don't need sauce, their fries are weak enough allready. We like'em crispy, with fritessauce (like mayo, but more creme-fraiche like and less greasy)...

The only place where I tasted nice crispy AND thin AND long fries was in France... if there's one thing they've got it is taste!

The fries sold as Flemish (Dutch language part of Belgium) fries here in Holland are thick, crispy on the outside, but soft potato-inside (and some peel left on them).... Very nice....And you can choose about 20 different kinds of sauce (never take samurai sauce unless you want to desolve some internal organs....:D )

Sorry for the OT thingy here, but I guess all the pros and contras of clipping ICs have allready been highlighted....or at least I don't think I can add more to it...

Cheers!:cheers:

Very nice mounting solution JackinNJ. One of the best I have seen for such packages. I guess most of you haven't read this good App Note from ST Micro. Has some good info, pictures and drawings.

Crap, more than 100KB. Let's see if I can find a link.

Ah, AN260

http://www.datasheetcatalog.com/datasheets_pdf/A/N/2/6/AN260.shtml

And for those that like mayonaise (sick stuff to me) try mixing it 50/50 with ketchup and dip fries in it. Called Fry Sauce in Utah and some parts of Idaho. Some people llove it.

-SL

Well well, that datasheet covers about all possibilities in mounting to a sink. Good one!

P.s. I don't like mayo much either, fries are best with ketchup if y'ask me....(and I recently read ketchup is quite healthy stuff....contains more vitamins than fresh tomatoes...) Fries with ketchup and mayo are called 'fries special' here, don't ask how we call fries with mayo and sateh-sauce here, believe me you don't wanna know...

And another on-topic quetion rises, what other stuff can be used to conduct heat? Any sheets with properties and different materials would be very interesting...(I was thinking mastic silicone based glue, could save people from having to clip or screw....)

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.