Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Chip Amps

Chip Amps Amplifiers based on integrated circuits

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 27th December 2002, 03:25 PM   #1
diyAudio Member

Send a message via AIM to Peter Daniel
Default This is not just another gainclone

I probably went a little overboard with this one, but couldn't resist the temptation to use those cute heatsinks. So here's my next gainclone implementation.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg gc1.jpg (51.5 KB, 59945 views)
“Do something really well. See how much time it takes. It might be a product, a work of art, who knows? Then give it away cheaply, just because you feel that it should not cost so much, even if it took a lot of time and expensive materials to make it.” - JC
Old 27th December 2002, 03:32 PM   #2
diyAudio Member

Very nice!
More pics of the guts?

MR
Old 27th December 2002, 03:32 PM   #3
diyAudio Member

I was concerned that those heatsinks might ring a bit, but overall appeal was much stronger than common sense and the whole creation is more of a modern sculpture than an amplifier.

The big chunk of acrylic in a center is there to add mass to the structure as well as to damp vibrations created from the outside. The white phenolic block is used to mount PS caps (stripped BG) and Hovlands coupling caps.

The Black Beauty pot is at the back and the shaft tunnel had to be drilled through the acrylic. I like the see through effect, which adds lightness to the structure.

There will be no cover and this is an open concept amp.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg gc2.jpg (74.9 KB, 55870 views)
“Do something really well. See how much time it takes. It might be a product, a work of art, who knows? Then give it away cheaply, just because you feel that it should not cost so much, even if it took a lot of time and expensive materials to make it.” - JC
Old 27th December 2002, 03:33 PM   #4
diyAudio Member

More details of the inside.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg gc5.jpg (72.1 KB, 51668 views)
Old 27th December 2002, 03:35 PM   #5
diyAudio Member

The structure rests on 3 spikes deliberately positioned under acrylic piece and under IC's. They release vibrational energy to the supporting shelf. You can see the effect when running a finger through the blades when holding the amp and comparing the effect when amp is standing.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg gc3.jpg (35.5 KB, 48284 views)
Old 27th December 2002, 03:36 PM   #6
diyAudio Member

As usually I tried to use the quality posts and RCA jacks from Cardas. You can also see through the acrylic back.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg gc4.jpg (43.6 KB, 49421 views)
Old 27th December 2002, 03:37 PM   #7
diyAudio Member

are those heat pipes on the sides?

MR
Old 27th December 2002, 04:12 PM   #8
diyAudio Member

Yes, those are heat pipes.

I used Hovland caps this time and I am curious how they will comapre to BG I used in my other clone. Yet, with the other one using such large caps would not be possible, it's just different philosophy of design.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg g2.jpg (34.4 KB, 44936 views)
Old 27th December 2002, 04:25 PM   #9
diyAudio Member

What a BEAUTY...
I was wondering; would you ever consider using a hardwood in place of the acrylic?
Joe
Old 27th December 2002, 04:28 PM   #10
diyAudio Member

I'll try hardwood with time too. I think that acrylic has better damping properties.

Hide this!Advertise here!