This is not just another gainclone

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
So I did some more tests. I connected 10,000u/63V Jensen 4 pin caps (supposedly better sounding that BG) on ea. rail. I was not impressed at all. The sound was mechanical and uninvolving.

I disconnected Jensens and connected 1,000u BG on ea. rail right after bridges. The sound improved dramatically with much bigger soundstage and better tonal balance. I'm gonna keep those caps in that location.;)

Attachments

• ca.jpg
    ca.jpg
    87.2 KB · Views: 1,818
Peter Daniel said:

I also thought it's a ultrafast diode, but in Digi-Key katalog it's listed under schottky http://dkc3.digikey.com/PDF/C031/0511.pdf
unless I got it wrong (top left). The one I'm using is from IR.

I think digi-key got it wrong. They list is as Schottky, just as
you say, but the VF is suspiciously high and checking the
datasheet confirms that it is not a Schottky

http://www.onsemi.com/pub/Collateral/MUR1520-D.PDF

(I guess digi-key had another brand, but that shouldn't
matter)

Bobken said:

-- snip --

I did a lot of similar listening tests maybe 10 years ago, and I came down heavily in favour of Shottkys then, but there have been a lot of developments/improvements in diodes' specs since that time.

Like you, I found them all to be very directional!:bigeyes:

-- snip --

Finally something I can agree on without hesitation:

I also find diodes to be very directional. :bigeyes:

As for the other things like wires, caps and resistors I still have to prove it to myself.

Christer said:

I think digi-key got it wrong. They list is as Schottky, just as
you say, but the VF is suspiciously high and checking the
datasheet confirms that it is not a Schottky

http://www.onsemi.com/pub/Collateral/MUR1520-D.PDF

(I guess digi-key had another brand, but that shouldn't
matter)

Like mentioned above you have to be careful. Digi-Key on that page lists IRF parts and NOT Motorola...

UrSv said:

Like mentioned above you have to be careful. Digi-Key on that page lists IRF parts and NOT Motorola...

There shouldn't be any major differences if the devices have
the same name. Data might differ a bit, but not the type, I think.
have you ever encountered such a case?

Anyway, I checked up the IR datasheets too, and theirs is
not a Schottky either.

Peter Daniel said:

I also thought it's a ultrafast diode, but in Digi-Key katalog it's listed under schottky http://dkc3.digikey.com/PDF/C031/0511.pdf
unless I got it wrong (top left). The one I'm using is from IR.

Yes, as already pointed out, Digi Key is wrong.

UrSv said:
One has to be careful with these:

Fairchild: MUR1520 is a 15A, 200V Ultrafast Diode
IR: MUR1520 is a 200V 15A HEXFRED
Onsemi: MUR5120 is a 15A 200V Ultrafast Rectifier

Sorry, but IR Data Sheet don't says the MUR1520 is a Hexfred
http://www.irf.com/product-info/datasheets/data/mur1520.pdf

I also have the old Motorola Data Sheet and I check the specs: almost the same

Anyway, the good news is that the MUR 1520 sounds good (at least) with the GainKlone, and with no snubbers.... (which were supposed to be very welcomed especially with UF-but-not-SR diodes)

Diodes directionality

UrSv said:

Finally something I can agree on without hesitation:

I also find diodes to be very directional.

As for the other things like wires, caps and resistors I still have to prove it to myself.

Now what do you guys mean by diodes being directional? Of course they are directional, you can only use it in a certain way!

If by that you mean it makes a difference whether you connect them to one AC phase or the other, can you ellaborate it a little more?

How do they sound different? What changes?

Carlos

Peter Daniel said:
I disconnected Jensens and connected 1,000u BG on ea. rail right after bridges. The sound improved dramatically with much bigger soundstage and better tonal balance. I'm gonna keep those caps in that location.;)
Now this makes a lot of sense to me, although some others I've talked with didn't necessarily think it should matter. Keeping the transformer-rectifier-cap loop small should really help.

I'd be very interested in further comments on this Peter, since there is often a large gap between "should" and "is" in audio.

Bobken said:

You will doubtless get a lot of "try this and try that" now you have published your results, but if you do get the chance, it might be worth having a listen to some of the Ixys HiPerFRED diodes, DSEP 9-06CR.

Todd Krieger said some glowing things about them on AA in Nov. 2001, when he compared these with both Hexfreds and Harris Ultrafasts, but I still have been unable to find anyone who I regularly deal with who will let me have a few to try.

Those are the only bridges I got from IXYS and those are my most treasured ones.;) I didn't try them yet.

Did you see my comments about Jensens?

Attachments

• br.jpg
    br.jpg
    59.7 KB · Views: 1,742
tiroth said:

lol. Like different pinouts? Oops...

Honestly I didn't think about that possibility, but I would say
that devices with the same name should have the same pinout
for the same package type. Maybe it is naive of me to believe
that, and for power diodes one may talk about pin-out so I
just checked and ,yes, ON and IR use the same pin-out.

So, what's on the agenda now, comparing fonts in the
datasheets? :)

Christer said:

There shouldn't be any major differences if the devices have
the same name. Data might differ a bit, but not the type, I think.
have you ever encountered such a case?

I remember jcarr was saying that same diodes from different manufacturers sounded different. I wouldn't be surprised.

MUR1520 I'm using, are IR parts. My comments regarding directionality of the diodes was a joke.;)

Peter Daniel said:
So I did some more tests. I connected 10,000u/63V Jensen 4 pin caps (supposedly better sounding that BG) on ea. rail. I was not impressed at all. The sound was mechanical and uninvolving.

Hi peter, I am pleased to hear the results of your tests on these Jensens, which I have been looking out for since we last discussed BGs in my power supplies.

I cannot say I am surprised at what you found, bearing in mind my often expressed fondness for the BGs, and I have been rather 'suspicious' of Craig's findings ever since he published them.

I am not criticising nor suggesting Craig did anything deliberate to influence anyone unduly, but only a week or two earlier, he was raving about the BGs and agreeing with what I had been saying about them.

This apparent 'U' turn was all rather too sudden for me to accept readily, as there simply was not enough time for any longer term evaluation of the Jensens-v-BGs, in order to be really certain of their respective 'abilities' in my view.

To be fair to Craig, he did say that this test which he had reported on was only in one (or maybe two) locations, and we all know that it can sometimes happen that there is some unique symbiosis in certain specific cases. Maybe that was what happened in Craig's trials.

I must say I am also a little relieved at your findings, since I couldn't close my eyes to the facts if you had decided the opposite to be the case, and as you know, I have rather a lot of 'investment' in BGs right now!

My gut feeling is that it will be quite a long time before anyone else universally surpasses the non-polar BGs because of their unique and patented construction, but I am prepared for it and will no doubt, after a bit of reluctance to spend more sums of money, move over to the new 'kings' of the electrolytic cap world. :nod:

Regards,:)

Now, to be fun, I'd like to see Panasonic FC versus BG. ;)

Christer, I wasn't making fun. ^_^ I've run into BCxxx transistors with different pinouts (after populating veroboard with them-arg) as well as some of the rarer ICs that end up having different pinouts from the datasheets I had.

Power transistors from different manufacturers frequently have small, but not insignificant, differences in SOA.

Peter Daniel said:

I remember jcarr was saying that same diodes from different manufacturers sounded different. I wouldn't be surprised.

Although important for audio, that is not something I would
label as a major difference between the components. I rather
meant that the same number shold not refer to entirely different
components, like a Schottky in one case and a non-Schottky in
another. Similarly, one would expect the important rating figures
to be if not equal, so at least close.

Life would be a bit messier if someone started to make superbly
sounding low-noise small-signal JFETs for phono stages and
label these as 2N3055. :)

Peter Daniel said:

When doing that sort of tests, sometimes it's difficult to make a right choice and a break is often recommended. So when I came back, I thought that those additional 1000u of standard BG, although sounded impressive in the beginning, make the total sound a bit overwhelming (sort of like home theatre sound), so I replaced them with 4.7u BG N. I suspect that this is better choice, because it didn't loose any naturalness of the sound (what I felt eith extra 1000U) and both bass and highs definition are improved. I think I will keep those ones.;)

Just for curiosity I also paralleled 0.47u/800v MIT caps to those additional 1000BG. It increased efect of euforia, but in the end I found it as not desirable coloration (less real sound and smering of highs with less perceived detail).

You can get them from Partsconnexion, but I buy mine directly from Japan at less than half price (but in larger quantity). There is a group buy in WIKI and I would be also interested in finding more people willing to buy 1000/50 type N cap. We need to gather at least 50 orders and the cap might be around $30USD a pc., but it is worth it. So far I was using only standard type for 1000u caps.

tiroth said:
Now, to be fun, I'd like to see Panasonic FC versus BG. ;)

Hi,

There is no contest here as I discovered when I substituted some BG FKs (the best of the *polarised* BG series) for the Panasonic FCs which were originally installed in my Assemblage DAC 3.1.

To complete the picture, I did not do *many* different trials between these two types of caps as I would normally like to do, and as I have done with my previous 'favourite' electrolytics which were Cerafines (for analogue) and Oscons (for Digital).

However, I have found over the years that mostly with components (irrespective of their individual values) there is a definite family semblance or likeness, and the differences between the characteristics of the Panasonic FCs and the FK BGs, was immediately so apparent that I would subsequently always choose the latter.

Regards,:)

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.