This is not just another gainclone

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Joined 2002
Paid Member
Don't be envious

Remember in some "circuits", they call this ART (pic.) :confused:

Arne K
NORWAY

Please, keep us inspired!
:cool:

Attachments

• uniqueart_1719_26312.gif
    uniqueart_1719_26312.gif
    14.2 KB · Views: 10,821
Grataku,

I was reading about gainclone on this forum long time ago, but never was too much concerned with it. When I found out that it's based on 47Labs Gaincard, I decided to built one. I can only say that it is very good. And this is not only my opinion, but some of my friends who also listened to my amp. Actually, all of them want one. Let it brake in for at least 3 weeks, because it improves constantly.;)

Ten years ago, when manufacturers were going the easy route and using prefab IC amps in alot of the very cheap equipment, people rightly associated the crappy sound to the ICs. The inventive DIY'er really had an advantage by building his own P2P amps. As manufacturing techniques have improved so has the quality of these ICs so now it can be advantageous to build one of these amps. I have listened to a friend's $75 gainclone and was pretty impressed by the sound. Unfortunately, while still in its prototype stage, it was stolen along with the rest of his audio equipment. He hasn't gotten around to building a new one but promises it will be coming next year. I plan to build one along with him so we can experiment with various components. I would like to build one sooner but want to stay focused on my final touches of a DC100 and then building my AlephX monoblocks.

Peter,

Well, I guess we cannot ban a moderator........... but nice try guys!:D

I think the secret to the gainclone is keeping all the components close to each other ..... short feedback path....low stray capacatance and inductance....... .

Imagine what an Alerh-X would sound like if we could do the same.

Jam

Disabled Account
Joined 2002
Jam, I think the PSRR and other parameters of the LM3875 are better than Aleph X and that counts for the good results too. The chip simply is designed very well otherwise this amp couldn't be as good as it is now.
I mean, if the chip would be crap you can still make an amp with the shortest signal path in the world but sound won't be good.

Maybe an Aleph X in chipform will outperform the Gainclone ?!? ;)

Nelson, let the wafers be baked ...

Maybe an Aleph X in chipform will outperform the Gainclone ?!?

Wait a minute chief, the gainclone might very well be a hot little number of its own but since when it is the best amp out there? And since when short signal path=great sounding amp, when a single 2.5mm die can affect the sound much more than a meter of cable? Are you telling me that you would rather listen to a gainclone than a AX200?:bigeyes:

Disabled Account
Joined 2002
It wasn't meant so seriously Grataku. I don't know an AX200. In fact I don't know any Pass stuff since I have central heating in my house I don't need them ;)
I only referred to the +/- 15 V DIY version of the X that's floating around here. Maybe it beats the Gainclone, who knows ? Wouldn't bet my money on it since I heard very positive reactions of very sceptic builders of the clone that are used to listen to exotic stuff. Same about the real Gaincard that was compared to some real expensive stuff in reviews. I think ( assume since I don't know the specs of the X in question ) that some parameters of this chip are better than a lot of discrete built amps. The PSRR is for sure otherwise 2 x 1000 uF surely would give problems. It will in your X :D. Short signal path=better amp in all cases !
I don't have a wish for an AX200. The simplicity of the Gainclone and the efforts of a lot of people to squeeze out the max of this remarkable chip makes me more curious every day. That is the spirit that keeps this audio-hobby going for me. Low component count,small size, low power usage, simplicity, high "tweakability" and very good results for a price that is too low to be serious about. What else can we wish ? At least it is a good project-inbetween-projects. It gives one more time for designing a good case as Peter showed us ( and he made us drool ). I finished a stereo PCB of the Gainclone today and thus I will own one myself in a short time ( well, short is relative ).

It surprised me really to read Peter Daniel's comment on the Gainclone outperforming his Aleph 5...

Anyway, who said it was the best amp out there ? :confused:

I have not heard an Aleph X yet but while the gainclone sounds nice it is not nearly as versatile or as capable as the Alephs when it comes to handling difficult loads. In a limited environment and given a basic diet of speakers, the gainclone might be just the ticket for someone looking for a change in projects or a budding BSEE Georgia Tech student (just kidding Brian :D ). I like it because its size and potential for simple component experimentation (ie, capacitors).

grataku said:
Maybe an Aleph X in chipform will outperform the Gainclone ?!?

Wait a minute chief, the gainclone might very well be a hot little number of its own but since when it is the best amp out there? And since when short signal path=great sounding amp, when a single 2.5mm die can affect the sound much more than a meter of cable? Are you telling me that you would rather listen to a gainclone than a AX200?:bigeyes:

Two very serious audiophiles just left my place. I know I'm gonna break your hearts, but they preffered the gainclone.;)

Their comments: Aleph X still sounds like a SS amp, gainclone sounds more like tubes, without artificial coloration of tubes. It is very direct, there is no so called curtain and you can almost walk into a soundstage. And those guys are deep into tube equipment.

I cannot say nothing on such comparison. My setup doesn't allow me direct amp switching (because of monoblocks and bi-amping), so one system is in one room, the other in a basement driving two different speaker systems. But there is something about the gainclone that makes you enjoy the music.

Retired diyAudio Moderator
Joined 2002
Philo said:
I have not heard an Aleph X yet but while the gainclone sounds nice it is not nearly as versatile or as capable as the Alephs when it comes to handling difficult loads. In a limited environment and given a basic diet of speakers, the gainclone might be just the ticket for someone looking for a change in projects or a budding BSEE Georgia Tech student (just kidding Brian :D ). I like it because its size and potential for simple component experimentation (ie, capacitors).

I already started building mine, and my roommate is experimenting with the gainclone also. :D It is a fun little project, and the best part is the lack of large heatsinks.

I am building some tangband w3-871s speakers and a pair of jordan jx92s tl speakers to go with them.

--
Brian

Ex-Moderator
Joined 2002
I know I'm gonna break your hearts, but they preffered the gainclone.

I can't say I am suprised, the moment I first listened to mine, made with stock parts and Thorstens standard circuit, I was blown away by the sheer clarity of the sound.:cool:

The only problem with them is that they are so easily tweakable, I haven't actually managed to get the whole amp finished, every time I think I'm done, I find something else to do to them, sometimes with better results, sometimes worse:)

Thanks Thorsten, you made my life hell, and I love you for it!;)

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.