This is not just another gainclone

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Show Printable Version

Dear Kneadle,

For me, the Show Printable Version doesn't work in two ways:
1. Thumbnails and links do not show up
2. In a huge thread like this, it still has to be done in parts because the computer grinds to a halt while the conversion from the usual format to the printable version occurs.

Does anyone else have these problems?

Regards,
George.

Hi George,

What you are describing sounds like a RAM shortage. If you're using a PC, try this:

Turn off as many programs running in the background as you can. Check the program list that would normally be indicated next to your clock on the desktop. If you have a lot of programs running, e.g., Nortons programs, they will hog system resources.

Even with my supercharged ex-gaming computer and audio computer, the document does slow the computer down.

Now, with that being said, it may not be your computer at all; it may be the web program. I recall having to give it a couple of tries, but I did manage getting the whole thing converted. And then it took a long time to download. Nevertheless, I have the whole thing on disk, and I'm slowly but surely editing it.

E-mail me privately, and I'll be glad to send you my raw download.

Dave

hello peter,

your patek amp (this one: http://www.audiosector.com/chassis_patek_amp.shtml) is looking really beautiful. you inspired me.

have you ever tried Dieter Ennemosers c37 lacquer.

http://www.ennemoser.com/
http://www.ennemoser.com/c37theory.html
http://www.ennemoser.com/c37theoryii.html
http://www.tnt-audio.com/accessories/c37_e.html
http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=11120&highlight=
http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=38643&highlight=

i had the chance to hear two hiagra 'le monsters', one treated with c37 and the other one (almost the same components, same chassis) without c37. the diffrence was easy to hear, the c37-monster had a musical note the simple monster did not have. unfortunately, c37 laque is very expensive and i am a poor kid. but if you want to build a high-end gc, money is no object ;).

have a nice day
lilmik

GC kit listening experience

Hi Peter and all Gainclone builders,

I would like to share with you my experience concerning the Gainclone I have built.

I have been using a nice SET amplifier (home grown) for about 7 years, the sound of which was pretty nice to me. Not very long ago I even had the chance to A/B test it with a quite expensive although not triode amp (Audio Note P2SE, approx. 3000 USD retail I believe). After a week of listening I definitely felt that there is quite a difference, the advantage in most areas (dynamics and especially information content) being on my amp's side. Nevertheless, I heard so much about the Gaincard so I went to a local dealer and listened to it. It was quite impressive, although I was listening to horns this time. (At home I use large Audio Note speakers which sound beautiful for me). So I decided I would buy a kit (premium) from Peter and build it, maybe just for fun.

I finished building the kit about a month ago. When I tried it first I was actually shocked. It turned out that the SET amp is "using" :) a pretty thick "curtain" between me and the speakers. I could hear significantly more from the music than before. It was amazing. However, there was something I did not like perfectly. There was some sharp edge of the sound, which made it tiring to listen to for longer periods, especially at louder (I would call normal for acoustic instruments) levels. After a few weeks of experimentation, last night I found the solution. Until yesterday, I was using the (pretty expensive ):) Audio Note cable I used with the triode monster. Yesterday I thought: what if I change those cables with something similar to what 47Lab suggest. I had at home some Cat5e UTP cable so I took it apart and installed single wires of the 24 AWG cable. Guess what: I was shocked again. Last night was the first occasion that I could actually hear acoustic instruments and players making music in space. I had the feeling I was not listening to an electronic music reproduction device but I could actually forget about it.

The last thing I would like to add is that for more that 13 years this was what I have been searching for. In 1992 I was at a HighEnd show and listened to a full Audio Note chain, including the famous Ongaku and other extremely expensive stuff. Then I absolutely felt that there was no device at all, only music. However, because the total price of that suff was well over 100 000 USD, I thought I would never be able to come close to that. It seems that this tiny little amp helped a lot in that.

Sorry for the long post. I know it is not usual to write so long but I had to tell you what I experienced.

Szabolcs

PS. Thanks Peter for the kit!

Hi Szabolcs,

Don't apologise for the long post. I built my first GC a couple of years ago but still love to hear the success stories like yours.

I also use the CAT5 (just two twisted pairs) and am yet to find a better speaker cable for my system.

You are right, whatever people may think of the GC, it does give those on a limited budget, the chance to get near to those megabucks systems that we can only dream about! ;)

Joined 2005
Paid Member
I just got my first LM3875 up and running. Really amazing sound - a real eye opener to a dedicated tube hound like myself.

I do still have a couple of problems. 1) One channel has major distortion. Music comes out, but major clipping sounds, distortion, etc. I may have fried the chip in this channel. Or it may be something with the volume pot. Does a bad chip sound more or less the way I describe? Should I just go ahead and replace it and see what happens? I don't have another one on hand. 2) Picking up a couple radio stations, not audible from my listening spot, but from closer to speakers. I'll see if I can apply some more judicious shielding.

Great kit - I'm looking forward to running it in some more.

Dake13

I do still have a couple of problems. 1) One channel has major distortion. Music comes out, but major clipping sounds, distortion, etc. I may have fried the chip in this channel. Or it may be something with the volume pot. Does a bad chip sound more or less the way I describe? Should I just go ahead and replace it and see what happens? I don't have another one on hand. 2) Picking up a couple radio stations, not audible from my listening spot, but from closer to speakers. I'll see if I can apply some more judicious shielding.

Hi there,

Some answers:
1) Measure the supply voltages at the chip, are they ok? If they are, there are still many possibilities for faults. At least check all contacts. To find out if it is the pot, swap the channels. Having a scope would really help with this problem.

2) I had this problem too once. Try to avoid large loops in the speaker cables (between + and -). So ensure the cables are not too far from eachother (and not too close too, 5-15 cm should be ok). Also, keep the speaker cables as short as possible. Use a half meter or so extra to be able to cut the wire occasionaly for clean contact.

Good luck,

Fedde

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.