This is not just another gainclone

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Nuuk said:

What am I saying? There is no 'bible' for building any piece of hi-fi. Sure people like Peter who build a lot of amps and try many components can report what works well for them. But please don't hang on every word like some demented soul who thinks that enlightenment can be given to them by a wise guru.

Nuuk said:

Because I saw that you recommended them!

That what I was getting to.;)

There is no harm in asking what is the particular configuration that somebody prefers. There are so many combinations and part types possibilities to try, that for some people that fact alone is discouraging to try them and eventually they don't try anything.

But if somebody says that this resistor should be here and that resistor should be there (for so and so tonal effect) it is much easier to try things. It shouldn't be regarded as an end in itself, but as a starting point from which further research can be made. So, if I say put Caddock in a feedback loop and Riken from IN- to GND, one can do that and then try the reverse: Riken in feedback and Caddock in shunt position. And then listening, decide what's better. And then, if this is not what he's looking for, try something completely different and tell us all about it.

It shouldn't be compared to guru giving enlightment, but as encouragement to try new things. After all, something else may be better and I'm always eager to try different solutions as well.

I've been already reprimended by my partner, that I shouldn't be revealing all trade secrets of our amps and parts that we use. This is approach taken by some other manufacturers, but I don't think it's making any good to diy community.

So I will continue sharing my experiences and observations, and I hope more will follow with similar attitude. We can't loose this way but only improve for better.

Hi Peter,

I agree with the attitude of helping others enjoy this fascinating hobby, and like you, have spent a lot of time doing just that.

And I agree that we all need a starting point and some guidance. My point was that we should be aware that at some point help can be counter-productive when it prevents somebody thinking for themselves. Rather like a crutch is great for somebody with an injury but that same crutch will prevent proper rehabilitation if used for too long.

I took the recommendation for the MUR860's because it enabled me to put one more piece of the puzzle into place. There wasn't any point in me asking you if they would work as well in monoblocks, or if they would work in conjucntion with a certain type of transformer. But I could have done that and spent another couple of weeks collecting information that would have been quite superfluous and delayed me in actually making something that would teach me far more anyway.

It can be very ego-enhancing to answer every question put to us but perhaps more honest to point out to the enquirer that there just isn't a definitive answer.

I honestly believe that it is better to help people to help themselves! Just my opinion but each to his or her own. ;)

diyAudio Editor
Joined 2001
Paid Member
I've been already reprimended by my partner, that I shouldn't be revealing all trade secrets of our amps and parts that we use. This is approach taken by some other manufacturers, but I don't think it's making any good to diy community.

Actually I've been meaning to mention this but didn't want to add a superfluous post to threads that had some inertia.

Peter, it's your sharing (of knowlege and components) that shows that you are truly a member of the DIY community. There may be some overlap between people that would buy your amps and the DIY crowd(less so with Pass, because his commercial amps are so expensive...)- but I think a lot of us DIY people see that your amps are actually good deal after doing the chassis work, wiring, ordering, etc. themselves! On the other hand this particular selection of resistors is your "trade secret" and it is generous of you to share it. It sure cements your "DIY cred" and give us all a starting point for a great sounding amp.

I think the point that we can all develop what sound WE like is a good one. I am as guilty as anyone-wanting everything spelled out, In electronic projects, you don't know what you don't know until you have the iron in your hand!!! ;)

Anyway, I still don't have a complete high end system which has been driving me crazy. When I get Brian's version of your amp up and running, I finally will. Then I can sit back and tweak to my hearts content WHILE listening to a great system!!!
Thanks,
Mark

Latest update on our Gainclone, i think it's getting a bit out of hand. We've started with this project over a year ago!
Anyway, we're getting there slowly but surely.

Attachments

• cyclone_black_3.jpg
    cyclone_black_3.jpg
    31.6 KB · Views: 2,573
Jerry T. said:
Latest update on our Gainclone, i think it's getting a bit out of hand. We've started with this project over a year ago!
Anyway, we're getting there slowly but surely.

Hey, I see Peter Daniel written all over this nice little amp:D

Chris

PS. I think Peter should consider my vote of a logo call

PD Signature

;) LOL

Peter Daniel said:
This am is actually based on 47Labs, Gaincard. I see Mr Kimura written all over it;)

Took you guys a while to finish it, but it looks good. What is the finish?

Thanks, we've build 2 now, and they are black anodized.
I still have to redo 4 Power Suplies, because i used the wrong type of aluminium for them. They came back horrible from anodizing. :yikes:

And yes, Kimura San inspired us! :angel:

Whew! I finished reading the whole thing! What a fantastic thread!

If someone could suggest a way that I could efficiently download all the text from this thread, I'd love to edit it into a zipped text document to host on my website.

I'm serious; here are some things that I learned in the past two or three days reading this:

• How a potentiometer actually functions
  • properly grounding an amp
  • properties of a toroid
  • philosophy of hearing resistors
  • Pros and Cons of p2p construction
And much, much more!
For example, there's at least one subplot to the whole thing (Bricolo: did you ever learn what caused your GC to oscillate, hum, and possess a demon?).

I'd love to edit this thread by topic, development, theme, etc., etc., for a sort of snapshot of "A Year in the Life of the IGC."

Does anyone know how to get the text of this entire thread with relative ease?

As an added bonus, I can stop pestering Nuuk to death about basic GC circuit designs ;) .

Dave

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.