This is not just another gainclone

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
purplepeople said:

Whew! It's nice sometimes, when you aren't setting the standards. Of course, now that you've got inspiration, that probably just means more perspiration for the rest.

:)ensen.

Here's my yesterday's project. S&B TX 102. It is indeed what they say.

Attachments

• a.jpg
    a.jpg
    55.4 KB · Views: 966
I've got two sources for acrylic. One is a surplus store which sells it for $2.5/lb, the other is plastic warehouse and price there is almost doubled.

PS: If you look carefully you'll see 3 acrylic structures in my pic;) It seems like acrylic works pretty well in all sorts of platforms, but I also noticed that sometimes it produces a signature that may not always be desirable.

It's still not finished, just hooked it up temporarily, but my first impression is in accordance what Kuei said on Audioasylum:
http://www.audioasylum.com/audio/tweaks/messages/54440.html

I'm sure this passive pre has some sort of sound or some kind of reduction in transparency (it would have to for all the solder joins and connectors plus switches), but I can't nail it down, at least not with CD as source. The only way to describe the "sound" is to steal a phrase from Romy the Cat - this unit is INSULTINGLY NEUTRAL.

….. This "Preamp" just gets out of the way of the music….

If you need all the audiophool drivel, I noticed a much more focused soundscape with increased extension into all directions. Individual sounds of instruments (like the bow scraping the strings, the resonating body of the Violin and the slight handling noises on the neck now occupy distinct sonic spaces, whereas I'm used to these sounds being more merged. Don't get me wrong, they have not become disjointed, but simply clearer.

….In terms of downward dynamic range (a term coined by Allan Wright) the system seems to have acquired an extra 6 - 8db of resolution, meaning that much in recordings that was previously buried and compressed by resistively attenuated linestages (passive or active) is now audible.

I'm quite impressed by that transformer volume stage. Will post more info tomorrow.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.